Flying Lessons UPDATE

Guys, A few weeks back I had posted about quiting my training because of an obnoxious CFI. Well I am now attending another flight school and can I tell you I finally found the “smiling faces” I was talking about. There is a night and day difference. I had to “re-learn” the steep turns but for the rest of it, that three week interupt didn’t hurt much. Actually the new CFI was impressed with my flying at 9 hours. Only one time has he had the controls and that was getting me thru the steep turns a couple times.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys…!!

Now, I actually found the hardback book of the book mentioned in a reply by “wazzu90”. I have finished it…great read by the way !!

Now, who wants it next? We’ll keep this book in circulation ya’ll want to. When you finish it, send it to someone else. etc…

Who’s up next?

Hooray! Glad to hear you’ve found another school. Flying is too much fun to let it be ruined by anyone. best of luck with your training!

Congrats! Glad to hear you took our advice and pressed on.

You do realize… you are now required to post a picture of you and the A/C with *us *the day you solo. Its part of the by-laws of this forum (I’m Lying) and please feel free to post any other pics as well. :smiley:

I’ll make sure I leave the Christian Dior shirt at home on that day. I am going to ask if I can video some of my dual flights with a small tripod. I’d like to have them to “show off” and for future reference and flight review.

Guys I have to tell you…I am having fun !!

Exact reason why I video my flights 8)

The way it should be :wink:

Just don’t get discouraged on those days where things “just don’t work”. These type of days will become fewer and fewer AND when that learning the landing process light bulb kicks in, it will burn

BRIGHTLY

:laughing: Fun you say? HA!! My freind…you have no idea. Wait till you solo.
The moment you lift the wheels off the ground and look to your right, and behold…theres no one there. “Fun” …will take on a new meaning in your life. Stand-by… :laughing:

Best Post Ever!!! I’m so glad you found the right school.

Good on ya

so good to hear. glad you got back on the horse.

Great news!

I wish we had a student pilot style curriculum for new drivers.

Good for you, it’s hard enough learning to fly without having to deal with a jerk.
There will be good days and some bad days where you will wonder if you can walk and chew gum at the same time. It’s all part of the learning process. Learning to fly can be a great experience that you’ll remember through the rest of your life.
Even though I have an ATP, I envy you, everything is new and exciting. Learning new skills, and the excitement of moving up to bigger and faster planes.
Cruising at 39,000’ gets pretty dull, but flying at 1000’ and watching the world go by is what’s really fun.

Cruising at 39,000’ gets pretty dull, but flying at 1000’ and watching the world go by is what’s really fun.

AMEN!

Couldnt have said it better myself!

I have read the other thread, and I’m glad to see this thread showing you are happy and having fun learning to fly. I worked for a flight school, just doing admin. support, and we had one CFI that I just hated. He was a total douche bag, and was just a long-winded bore with his students. I had to over-hear his “ground school” discussions with his poor students…he would just drone on and on about waaaay off-topic things for a person just getting their PPL. BUT: The school also had 6 other CFI’s that were incredible, so… ya just gotta get the right one.

The guy who runs the other flight school that you quit will run himself out of business before long, you can bet on it. I noticed that one’s reputation in aviation will make or break that person… no doubt. Word definately gets around in the aviation community (look at this forum for example). I call it, “As The Prop Turns” because of the gossip and drama I see in aviation circles.

The school I worked for has been around for over 20 years and is run by a retired Lt. Col. from the Air Force. He has over 20,000 hours of instruction as a CIVILIAN. He ran a TIGHT ship there at the school, but he was also kind, patient, and an absolutely wonderful TEACHER. His reputation in the aviation community is stellar. Just because the guy at your old school is ex-military, doesn’t mean he has the right to berate a student and be a d*ck!!

[quote=“AugustaResident”]
I’ll make sure I leave the Christian Dior shirt at home on that day. I am going to ask if I can video some of my dual flights with a small tripod. I’d like to have them to “show off” and for future reference and flight review.

Guys I have to tell you…I am having fun !!

Oh, wanted to add earlier; The flight school I worked at had that tradition of cutting off the back of the shirts of solo-ers. I loved that. We put up the shirt backs on the hangar wall.

I googled that to see why/where the tradition came from. I read about how when in the old days, a student’s instructor sat behind them, and would tug on the right/left side of the student’s shirt to indicate which rudder they should use… and when the student soloed, there was no need for the shirt pulling anymore, so the instructor would take it…

BUT… it seems that theory is up for debate. I saw alot of conflicting stories about how and why that tradition started.

:::sitting back, sipping coffee, watching all the pilots discuss this new topic::::::

-Sue

[quote=“AugustaResident”]
I’ll make sure I leave the Christian Dior shirt at home on that day.

His name wouldn’t happen to be Ray would it? Are you in the New York area?

Nope… this was in another state… and no, I won’t name names… I love my old flight school and won’t say a word in the negative about it.
I personally didn’t like this particular CFI, but he is a good instructor, he was just a douche bag…

[quote=“FlyNYC”]

:unamused:

[quote=“Smerkbich”]
Nope… this was in another state… and no, I won’t name names… I love my old flight school and won’t say a word in the negative about it.
I personally didn’t like this particular CFI, but he is a good instructor, he was just a douche bag…

Welcome to the FA forums Smerkbich. BTW, how do you pronounce your name?

[quote=“Smerkbich”]

I think every flight school has had "that guy"at some point.