Updating jprochazka/adsb-receiver project with new 3.7.1?

@idh
@wiedehopf

Actually I have saved the two scripts as two text files on my Windows Desktop. I have replaced all XXXXXX, XX.XXXX, YY.YYYY, ZZZ by relevant feeder keys/ids, lat, lon & alt. Thus these file are fully ready to use any time without any editing and adding keys. This way I am saved the trouble of entering keys, lat, lon, alt etc in the script every time I use these.

Whenever I write a fresh Raspbian image, I SCP the relevant file from Windows computer to Pi, make it executable and run. Maked my life easy, and encourages to go for fresh install when experimenting.

1 Like

That script worked fine (I stripped out the feeders I diddn’t need - easy since you have indicated which is which :slightly_smiling_face:).

For other idiots like me :roll_eyes: who have been using JP’s scripts for so long, it would be helpful to indicate at the end of the script what the URL of Skyview is: (/dump1090-fa).

Loking at my old notes, I was trying “dump1090” instead of “dump1090-fa”. Took me a while to figure it out.

@wiedehopf graphs installed ok as well. Since I have a 4.19 kernel (Armbian 5.85) DiskIO does not generate graphs but I can live with that.

Thanks for your both your efforts. Now to try out timelapse.

1 Like

You can check if you can find an Armbian package.
Probably the Raspbian package mentioned in the post below will do just fine.
If it doesn’t work you can just sudo apt remove collectd and reinstall the original version.

@idh
Below is what I have done, and recommend you to do:

1. Copy-paste the script in a text file on your Win/Mac computer and save it. Change its extension from .txt to .sh.

2. Edit the saved file and replace all XXXXX by feeder ids /keys of relevant feeders, and XX.XXX, YY.YYYY, ZZZ by lat, lon, alt of your station.

3. Comment out code lines for any items you dont want to install.

4. If you have another Pi also, make a copy of this file for 2nd Pi, then change feeder IDs / keys to that of 2nd Pi.

5. When you have written a fresh image to microSD card, simply SFTP this file from Desktop to Pi, make it executeable (sudo chmod +x script-file-name.sh), and then run it (./script-file-name.sh).

To create/edit text files containing code, I dont use Windows notepad. Instead I use notepad++. This is better to overcome any formatting issues.

To SFTP, I use Bitvise SSH Client which has both an SSH console and a graphical SFTP window, which looks like Windows file explorer, with left half displaying files in desktop and right half files in Pi. To transfer files from desktop to Pi, right click on file name and choose “upload” and you are done. Note that due to permissions, you can upload files to Pi’s /home/pi/ (~/) folder only. Once uploaded by SFTP, you can move the file to any other folder (if reqiured), by issueing a sudo mv command.

abcd567

Everything worked fine from your initial instructions. I use WinSCP as my FTP client.

The error was not your instruction but trying to see Skyview from <IP address/dump1090>, instead of <IP address/dump1090-fa>

@idh
@wiedehopf

The main advantages are:

(1) You dont build packages from source code for Raspberry Pi and Orange Pi as the pre-build packages from respective feeder repositories are compatible to RPi & OPi and their debian based OS. Only if you want to install dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev, its script builds it from source code as it’s pre-built package is not available.

(2) The script creates individual feeder configuration files based on station specific feeder id/key, lat, lon, alt saved in script. This simplifies and automates installation.

(3) The included graphs are NOT web portal, but graphs only by @wiedehopf. This does not install webportal, php, mySQL etc. As a result installation is lighter and does not interfere with lighttpd and dump1090 configurations.

The main disadvantage is that at time of using the script, user has to check the latest versions of feeders, and update it in the script if version has changed.

Also, the fr24feed installation ends with configuration step and waits for inputs. As the script has already created config file (/etc/fr24feed.ini) with fr24key and beast-tcp, 127.0.0.1:30005, this configuration step is not needed. Simply press Ctrl+c to break it, and then restart fr24feed by sudo systemctl restart fr24feed.

So, I started out with the p24 image. Then installed the piaware 3.7.1 and somehow it switched to dump1090-fa. I then also installed adbsexchange. Everything works.

I would like to install the web portal for the additonal graphs and infomration. How do I go about to only install the web portal?

Thanks

This won’t interfere with dump1090 or feeders and only installs as an additional webinterface at /graphs1090 :
GitHub - wiedehopf/graphs1090: Graphs for readsb / dump1090-fa / dump1090 (based on dump1090-tools by mutability)

But for the adsb-receiver script you can also select to only install the web portal.

Thanks for the reply! Whats the benefit with the portal versus only your script?

My script can be removed with a deinstall script.
I’ve also updated quite a few things in the graphs.
There are some graphs for 978 MHz UAT, if you do that.
The range and signal graphs are quite a bit different, better in my opinion.

Also my script doesn’t require php and doesn’t provide the portal which i find annoying and superfluous.
It only occupies /graphs1090.
(and controls collectd configuration, but that is necessary to collect the data)

1 Like

Installed it and works great. But netdata stopped working adter installing though. Cant start it, exits with failure.

I removed and reisntalled netdata. Now both works. Happy.

I’m not really familiar with netdata and don’t know why installing collectd would be a problem.
But as they do somewhat similar things my guess is that that’s the problem.

If netdata was using collectd, then it won’t work now because the collectd configuration has changed.

sudo journalctl -u netdata --no-pager

And as i’m typing this you solved the problem.
Very curious.

Added openlayers, nginx / letsncrypt reverse proxy port 8080 with base url dump1090-fa works great. But how do write the nginx block for graphs1090? Anyone know?

This works for dunp1090-fa

location /dump1090-fa {
auth_basic “Restricted”;
auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/.htpasswd;
include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
set $upstream_dumpfa 192.168.86.51;
proxy_pass http://$upstream_dumpfa:8080;

}

Isn’t that just the URL you want?
What you currently have is where dump1090-fa is displayed:
http://pi:8080

You should just as well be able to use http://pi/dump1090-fa or http://pi/graphs1090
Maybe it doesn’t accept webdirectories, just hosts.
In that case you’ll just have to use http://pi:80 and add the /graphs1090 when accessing the proxy or whatever you’re doing.