UAT978 Signal Question

Hello! I just got a new 978 stick and installed it in my raspberry pi that was already running. After serializing and getting everything up, I’m finally seeing a few planes. I was curious what your thoughts were on signal levels? Gain is currently set to max. It seems like if I turn it down to like 36 I see less. The antenna is currently in the rafters of my garage, but I’m hoping to move it outside soon. Where do you ideally want to see the signal level? Thank you for the help!

Those the only 2 options?
This is like saying 1 is too quiet and 11 is too loud on the guitar amplifier, ignoring settings 2 to 10.

Also with so little traffic … you’ll have to compare 2 days at least.
Not run it 20 min and determine: that’s worse!

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick response! I’ll leave it at max over the weekend and see how things look. Your explanation makes sense, so I appreciate it. Is there an ideal level I should be aiming for on the graph? Thanks again!

Avoid -3 to 0 if possible.

I have mine about 100ft in the air and have it on max gain as I am trying to see UAT traffic from around 100 miles out on average and it seems ok. I do have some clipping of near by airplanes. I have a couple of training schools that fly in the morning so I can have around 150 UAT planes at one time.

dump1090-localhost-signal_978-2h

This is a week worth of signal level for me. Please note that I have pre-amp up a mast with a gain of about 13dB, and a gain setting of 38. So maxed out gain pretty much.
I regularly see traffic directly over my house
dump1090-localhost-signal_978-7d

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.