Turbulence Hits Northwest Airlink Flight

Northwest Airlink Flight 2871, a CRJ-200 flying from Knoxville to Detroit, was forced to divert to Louisville on Tuesday afternoon after encountering severe turbulence. Several people onboard were injured.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=95367&catid=2
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FLG2871/history/20090804/2046Z/KTYS/KSDF

This was a good quote from the story:
“Jenkins looked back to make sure the fuselage was still attached. Then he saw another injured passenger.”

My question: where was Jenkins?

A lot of that going around right now.

** Report created 8/7/2009 Record 4 **

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: UNK Make/Model: DHC- Description: DHC-8
Date: 08/05/2009 Time: 1901

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Serious Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: None

**DESCRIPTION
FLIGHT ATTENDANT SUFFERED A BROKEN LEG AFTER PDT4260 **ENROUTE FROM
CHARLOTTE, NC TO NEW BERN, NC ENCOUNTERED SEVERE TURBULENCE.

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 3 Fat: 0 Ser: 1 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 30 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Cruise Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: GREENSBORO, NC (SO05) Entry date: 08/07/2009

I could easily be incorrect but the divert looks like it occurred just south of EVV. Wonder why they didn’t just land there.

Welcome to the forums! I would suspect that the flight was at cruise altitude, and would have had to fly in a descending circle to land at Evansville.

thx – been here as a spectator for a while. v interesting discussion here - good forum.

and here i was thinking that the carrier used Humana for health insurance, and flew to Humana’s home city of L’ville to find someone “in-network”. :wink:

From the track log it appears the turbulence was encountered around 5:16 PM EDT (21:16 Z) at 37.07 -87.39. This would be about 15 nm NNE of HVC. Apparently the crew assessed the cabin, systems and divert alternatives for about 6 minutes before beginning a turn (and subsequent descent) to SDF at 5:23 PM EDT (21:23 Z).