Texans report fireball in sky, sonic booms

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/15/texas.sky.debris/index.html

Article says that the FAA had a routine hazard warning. Anybody have the original PIREP or NOTAM?

TC

I read the same thing on CNN. I haven’t flown in the last few days but no one has said a word about there being a danger to flight…

This FDC NOTAM was issued several days ago.

FDC 9/5774 FDC … SPECIAL NOTICE … EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. AIRCRAFT ARE ADVISED THAT A POTENTIAL HAZARD MAY OCCUR DUE TO REENTRY OF SATELLITE DEBRIS INTO THE EARTHS ATMOSPHERE. FURTHER NOTAMS WILL BE ISSUED IF MORE INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE. IN THE INTEREST OF FLIGHT SAFETY, IT IS CRITICAL THAT ALL PILOTS/FLIGHT CREW MEMBERS REPORT ANY OBSERVED FALLING SPACE DEBRIS TO THE APPROPRIATE ATC FACILITY TO INCLUDE POSITION, ALTITUDE, TIME, AND DIRECTION OF DEBRIS OBSERVED. FAA HEADQUARTERS, AIR TRAFFIC SYSTEMS OPERATIONS SECURITY, 202-493-5107, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY.

local news in Dallas said has to do with the crashed Satelites comming down

Let’s watch eBay. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tries to sell pieces of the satellites. I recall hearing that they did the same thing (not on eBay) in the 1970s when Skylab came down. Never mind these people were in the Southeast US when the station burned up, I believe over Australia and the Indian Ocean.

Colgan 3407?

FAA says Texas fireball was meteor, not a UFO (or satellite debris).

You are going to hell for that one! :open_mouth:

Why would I go to hell… for that? The FAA issued a warning of potential hazard to aircraft. What if part of a satellite hit them?

Ohhhhhh, I got ya. I thought you were suggesting the Texans saw 3407, not the possibility that 3407 was hit by space junk. I know I flew looking straight up for the next couple days just waiting for a flaming satellite to go hurtling past!

Obviously miles and miles from Texas, my son and I were driving to the hotel from a hockey game in Columbus OH Monday (16FEB) and noticed either the brightest shooting star or space junk from one of these satalites. We were still in a pretty urban area so there were many lights, and we were on the interstate so many other cars and the amber colored street lights. It appeared to burn out just above the horizon, although I understand that there are many optical illusions at play. At any rate it was extremely bright and appeared to go low.

Let’s see, if you’re flying upside down and you want to look straight up, don’t you have to look down? :laughing:

Thank goodness for those chin windows! Look at the new avatar pic, I need a rearview…

Nahhhhhhhhhh, you’ve got it upside down!

Was my tribute to your dirigible!

My theory may not be as far off as originally thought. JHEM you better go check your roof or your basement.

http://wcbstv.com/local/jersey.city.metal.2.937877.html

Sorry Rob, I live in the “other” NJ, the one without a Jersey City, Newark or Bergenfield and where everyone isn’t named Vinnie or Guido and works for the Mob. :smiling_imp:

(That article gives a whole new definition to the term “hot metal”! I wonder how long before it’s on eBay?)

How far are you from the Bada Bing?

Interplanetary demographically, 'bout an hour geographically.

Yeah, and what the hell’s with the “bikini bars” in Jersey. I’m suing HBO and the “Sopranos” creators for false advertising!