When I look in graphs1090, my signal level changes throughout the day. See screenshots below.
I knew that auto gain was introduced with Piaware 6. So, I disabled auto gain in my settings in /boot/piaware-config.txt and set the gain to 29.7. Prior to Piaware 6, I set the gain to 29.7 since that was the best for my indoor setup.
In the /boot/piaware-config.txt, I set the following to “no”:
- adaptive-dynamic-range no
- adaptive-burst no
When I run “sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa”, my gain is showing 29.7. When I run “piaware-config”, the rtlsdr-gain is showing 29.7. I’ve looked at the gain when the signal level was going up/down, and the gain was still showing 29.7.
- Could the gain still be set to auto gain somehow? I could have missed putting something in the piaware-config.txt.
- Is there something else that could be changing my signal level? This problem only started after I upgraded to Piaware 6.
- Any thoughts on what else I should check?
Setup is indoor by a window:
- Raspberry Pi 4
- Uputronics 1090 Filter/Preamp
- Piaware 6 image (not the add-on)
- Flightaware Pro Plus (blue dongle)
- 1090 MHz ADS-B Antenna - 66 cm / 26 in
- 25 ft Low-Loss Coaxial Extension Cable
- Gain = 29.7