Share The Work

Hello,

I have a Pi running PiAware and Dump1090.

I would like to use two Pi’s so as to distribute the work. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, possible, but why?

The load of Piaware and dump1090 togather is so low, there seems no logical reason to divide load on two RPi.

Here are load graphs of my RPi with:

• dump1090-fa
  • Piaware feeder
  • Planefinder feeder
  • FlightRadar24 feeder
  • RadarBox24 feeder
  • Opensky-network feeder
  • Adsbexchange feeder

1 Like

Thanks for input.

I am hoping that I will have more than a few concurrent users looking at my local version of the data. I also am collecting NOAA, AIS, and the CATF. I am sending the CATF chatter to an Icecast server VM. Still trying to gt NOAA and AIS to work. I hope to serve up the images and charts too.

Because COAX isn’t cheap, and my antenna mounting location is a bit remote, the best way to make it all work is to use POE and mount the Pi near the antennas.

So, my Pi is busy as it is. I figure I would use it as the data collector, send all that data to remote servers, and then disseminate from those.

And just because!

Just forwarding the beast data is probably the easiest solution, you can set that up manually or for example use this: combine1090/README.md at master · wiedehopf/combine1090 · GitHub

You could then have the data feeders (even if they don’t use much cpu) on the second pi running combine1090.

2 Likes

You still need to send all that data back, plus power those remote Pi and receivers. So what cables are you using for that that are cheaper than RG6 coax?
I see that you are in US… This is the cable that I have bought from Amazon - 150 ft for $17 and it works perfectly:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015UPRIU4/

Add a couple of adapters (for $5.50) at each end:
https://www.amazon.com/DHT-Electronics-coaxial-adapter-female/dp/B00CVTRTUC/

Ethernet. The Pi is located near the antennas. Powered by Ethernet. The Ethernet cable carries the data too.

If you wanted to do it on one device you could try an Odroid XU4 ODROID-XU4Q Special Price – ODROID (they now have XU4Q which is Q for Quiet, It has a giant heat sink and no fan).They have more memory(2Gb and DDR3) and CPU(2Ghz) than an RPI but only cost about twice as much. They are limited to 3 USB interfaces(one USB2 and two USB3), however, I have connected a small four port USB3.x hub to mine with no issues. It has a proper 1gb/s ethernet interface and better eMMC flash support(as well as STD micro SD). They have eight cores, however, four are high power and four are low power.
I have one in my attic running an Airspy for ADS-B decoding (the older code required something more powerful than an RPI3). It does require a dedicated higher power POE+ feeder as it needs 4-5 Amps at 5 Volts. It was running two UAT978 decoders at the same time, however, I moved them to a dedicated RPI.
There is a learning curve to get stuff working.

1 Like