RTL-SDR TCP Server With dump1090-fa

Good evening everyone,
Just new to the whole ADS-B tracking and have managed to get my Raspberry Pi going with a Nooelec NESDR SMArTee v2 SDR. I have feeds going now to both FlightAware and FlightRadar24 and all seems to be working nicely.
I also want to dabble with the whole SDR audio side of things. What I was thinking of is setting up the RTL-SDR TCP server and having dump1090-fa connect to the SDR via TCP. Then, from my Windows computer running something like SDR# or HDSDR connecting to the Raspberry Pi RTL-SDR TCP server.
Is this possible, and if so how do I reconfigure dump1090-fa to use the RTL-SDR TCP server instead of directly to the USB port?
I am getting an error now though and I think it has something to do with dump1090-fa locking the USB port;
As you can see I am getting a usb_claim_interface error -6. Not to sure if this is really an error or not, but everything seems to work. All I need to do now is try to get rtl-sdr tcp server working :slight_smile:
Cheers all and have a great day :slight_smile:

dump1090-fa doesn’t currently support getting sample data via rtl-tcp

If it did, you still wouldn’t be able to have dump1090-fa and another sdr application both use the dongle at the same time. They can only tune to a single frequency / sample rate and dump1090-fa expects continuous 1090MHz data.

You could stop dump1090-fa and start rtl-tcp each time you wanted to do something else with the dongle.

Or buy a second dongle so you have one for ADS-B on the Pi and one for SDR audio on your PC. You’ll also need frequency-appropriate antennas for what you want to listen to, as well as an SDR program. I highly recommend SDR++ which comes in Windows, Mac, Debian and Ubuntu flavors and can be compiled on other Linuxs distros and BSD. GitHub - AlexandreRouma/SDRPlusPlus: Cross-Platform SDR Software

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.