RTL Airband

Here is a link to a YouTube video on installing and using RTL-Airband for a Raspberry Pi for local use. In the video he has a link to his page on the instructions and commands.

3 Likes

I have been experimenting with RTL_Airband and works pretty good as per the instructions if you are using it local. Learning how Icecast works took a little time but also works well. I used WINSCP to FTP into the raspberry pi I had set up for this. Inside the directory for RTL_Airband /home/pi/RTLSDR-Airband-3.2.1 there is a folder called config where there is 4 example rtl_airband.config files that can be used as a template for a config file to run the program. RTL_Airband can be run as a scanner or as a multi-channel monitor even using two RTL dongles. pretty powerful and yet very useful once you get used to how the program works with icecast.

1 Like

ooh goodie, I’d looked at this previously but didn’t spend any time getting it going and was going to revisit it so thanks for that.

Need an excuse to get myself another raspberry and a couple more RTLs

The wife will be delighted :->

2 Likes

This will save you getting confused
cut and paste YESSSS
https://fuzzthepiguy.tech/rtlsdr-airband/

just setting mine up

2 Likes

Looks like a shiny new toy to play with! Do you have any idea if this will install on Ubuntu? Many of the RPi software will figure out the architecture and install properly. I have a spare Pi but would rather use a laptop. Thanks for letting us know about this.

1 Like

That is a question I have no answer to. Sorry.

1 Like

If you dig deeper into Google on RTL_Airband the program can be used more than a scanner for airband. read the config files closely.

1 Like

After I wrote that post (and watched a couple episodes of Seal Team) the thought came to me that I need to ‘wget’ and ‘sudo bash’ and find out if it runs on Ubuntu. I’ll let you know. :+1:

1 Like

Short answer: no.

E: Unable to locate package libraspberrypi-dev

So I guess I’ll have to dust off a Pi. @glennblum Which distro are you running on your Pi? Raspbian?

1 Like

I loaded up Pi OS 32 desktop through the windows raspberry pi imager. I then used my wireless keyboard and plugged the pi into my monitor and selected input 2. set up the pi and enabled SSH and VNC for remote operation. This Pi I also have DUMP VDL2 and ACARSDECO2 installed but I run all my programs through command line via vnc and allow them to run but only under my command and not at boot. I actually call this my "ACARSPI. Its a Version 3B+.

1 Like

I did that, too.

Lots of great new ideas. Thanks!

1 Like

thanks for the information.

1 Like

I have RTL Airband installed on a Pi3 with SDR and indoor antenna. Haven’t heard a peep yet. Are you guys getting any traffic?

1 Like

Set your gain and also it depends what frequencies are you using. Mostly what I use is busy during the week day.

1 Like

Oh right. I didn’t change it from the default in the config. I’ll jack it up to 49.6. I added some ATC frequencies from KRDU.

1 Like

@glennblum What kind of antenna are you using? Indoor or outdoor? Thanks.

1 Like

Outdoor at 30 feet. It’s a diamond ham radio antenna

1 Like

pi3 b+ rtl v3 working on icecast
Mine is working fine 3 local freq working
half wave dipole out side vhf
top d777 used on pro 2006

2 Likes

I guess if I want this to work I need to put the antenna outside, on the pole with my ADS-B antennas. So far, I’ve just heard a few crackles.

1 Like

yes same here as soon as i got it working the voices stopped grrr

2 Likes