FlightAware Discussions

RTL Airband

I think that I may have to adjust the bandwidth. I get a lot of air traffic during the week but I noticed that the voice is a bit distorted.

1 Like

OK, well best of luck to you all on this. I’m going to give it up. I’m going to play with the GPS hat my daughter gave me five years ago (!) and I never got around to using. I can listen to aircraft on LiveATC. Have fun!

1 Like

One thing to bear in mind for reception of airband is that unlike ads-b, the channels are quite narrow - spacing is 8.33 kHz, so you will need to have the frequency calibration set accurately. If you aren’t using a TCXO controlled dongle, the accuracy is likely to drift around with temperature changes, which will make it harder to tune to the channel you want.

If you aren’t using a TCXO controlled dongle, then you should leave it running for half an hour or so to warm up and then calibrate it using Kalibrate-rtl or CalibrateSDR to find the appropriate offset.

1 Like

I ran both dongles against SDR Console on my windows computer and they are at +1 max. They are NooElect NESDR SMArtee models.

I prefer to save the audio sequence instead of a stream, but have not yet got it to run. Did someone have an idea for recording with a rapsberry?

1 Like

If you go to the programs authors page he has a wiki set up on the configuration. Yes I can remember that you can save it as a file. I’m at work so I can research it right now.

Many Thanks! I checked out the wiki and tried it on a PiZero. That looks good!

1 Like