Remote access of Dump1090?

I don’t know man, tried exactly this both on my TP-Link and D-Link routers. Still not working.

Working now! Like I said, this is all new to me. I know my mistake - when I was typing the IP address into the address bar to look up the site I kept using the piaware’s IP address of 192.xxxxx instead of the 47.185.xxxxxxx internet IP. So the internet IP, ie external IP, all works. Coulda swore I tried that before but with all the combinations of ports forwarded and IP address I missed it or got confused.

Thanks for helping this poor guy out. I used to be pretty tech savvy and somewhere along the way it all zoomed past me. Guess that means I’m getting old, officially. Dammit.

1 Like

[quote=“nameredacted”]

Great!! Cant wait to try it on mine. Will update soon if this works on Flightfeeder or not.

@nameredacted
Which ones of following work OK with your setup?
It may be more than one.
Please try ALL and post result for benefit of others.

external_IP:80
external_IP:8080
external_IP/dump1090/
external_IP/dump1090-fa/

external_IP:80
works, takes me to status page. clicking “go to map” works, takes you right in.

external_IP:8080
nope, server stopped responding message

external_IP/dump1090/
404 - not found

external_IP/dump1090-fa/
straight to map

and I’ll add that just typing in the IP with no : or /dump stuff also works. Take you to the status page, same as :80

For our 30 piaware Baja Mexico ADS-B network our big problem was to open ports on remote router hosts, almost all of them different. Now with the Zerotier VPN we don’t care about routers or ports anymore, not even if newly assigned ethernet ip’s if Pi was rebooted, Our master aggregation site in Cabo San Lucas airport and all of us accesses the sites using Zerotier.

Here is what we did:

1. Open a FREE account in my.zerotier.com/ and of course save the id and password and
    copy the NODE ID you will get from the site (looks like this fake: 555755d8f6eef42c), select the ip’s pool you want and other defaults.

2. Access your raspberry Pi terminal and install the ZEROTIER client with these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install curl
curl -s install.zerotier.com/ | bash
sudo service zerotier-one restart
sudo zerotier-cli join 555755d8f6eef42c (SAME NODE ID FROM YOUR ACCOUNT, step 1)

1. Now go back to your recently created account (refresh) and you will see your Pi there, check the box to grant permission and name it. You will see a new VPN IP created for your Pi. Write it down.

2. Download for your device (PC, phone, tablet, etc.) the network endpoint service to connect to the PVN from:
    zerotier.com/download.shtml
    run it and use the same node ID as before to join your service, from step 1.

3. Go back to your zerotier master account and authorize (check box) this new device.

4. Back to your newly authorize device and on your browser, just type the ZEROTIER VPN IP,
    from step 3, for your Piaware and you are in. Or use a SSH clien to connect with the same Zero IP.

We don’t touch the router at all.
From all the system we tested and used to access remotely this is the best and easiest. Now we could SSH or see the map.
Regards
Alex

2 Likes

Thanks Alex, good share!

It’s still not working with my Flightfeeder, tried everything above. I now think it has something to do with my ISP. I opened a random port just to check and on portchecktool.com its still showing timed out. I have registered a complaint with my ISP, let’s see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Hello Prashant,

This could be a problem with your ISP. Few of the Indian ISP’s block the ports ( both UDP and TCP ) by default. No idea why !!!
I had the similar issue , that I can’t access the FlightFeeder’s page remotely even after forwarding the port in my TP-LINK router. Raised a ticket with the ISP and they have opened few TCP ports for me.

For example , they have opened port 9413 for me. Went to port forward menu of my TP-LINK , and forwarded the incoming port 9413 to my Flightfeeder’s local IP and port (80 in this case).

This is working like a charm and I can access the FA page remotely from office or mobile etc.

Hello,
You are right, just got a call back from my ISP (ACT Fibernet) and they indeed have all the ports blocked. To open a port i have to purchase a Static IP plan which i have heard that they only give on company names and not to home users. I will send a mail and request them to open a port, i think they will. BTW who’s your ISP?

I’ve created a new account but I haven’t seen a NODE ID. I’ve got an Internal ID and an API Access Token.

Where is the NODE ID located?

Easy I set up my Router to use the FlightFeeders local ip as the dmz and now I just enter my IP address into any browser anywhere in the world and it shows the map as if I was looking at it locally on my browser

did you have a raspberry pi?

This post that you responded to is almost 4 years old. I would imagine that they have worked something out by now! :grin: