Remote access of Dump1090?

I keep my piaware at a location that I am rarely at. While away, I can always view the stats page for my receiver on the flight aware website. However, I would love to be able to view my dump 1090 map while not at my location. Is there a way I can view this dump 1090 map while not on the same local network as my piaware?

Thanks!

Do you have access to the router/modem at the location you keep your PiAware?
From your My ADS-B you can view your PiAware Internet IP.
All you have to do is setup NAT/Port forwarding on your router modem to PiAware ports 80 and 8080.
However I would not recommend it. As it will also leave things open for others.

Do you also have a PiAware or other linux server where you usually are? I have at my git: piawarebash scripts that will create a reverse ssh tunnel back home to a set endpoint. If this is of interest take a look at it, and come back to me with questions, if any…

You could always setup a VPN server on your home network, connect to that and then access your PiAware via that.

Can the built-in VNC of “Raspbian Jessie With Pixel” do the job?

Quote from page: raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel/

New applications
There are a couple of new applications now included in the image.

RealVNC have ported their VNC server and viewer applications to Pi, and they are now integrated with the system. To enable the server, select the option on the Interfaces tab in Raspberry Pi Configuration; you’ll see the VNC menu appear on the taskbar, and you can then log in to your Pi and control it remotely from a VNC viewer.

The RealVNC viewer is also included – you can find it from the Internet section of the Applications menu – and it allows you to control other RealVNC clients, including other Pis. Have a look here on RealVNC’s site for more information.

No. VNC is different to VPN. VNC allows you to view a desktop remotely. VPN allows you to make a secure connection into your network without the need to forward ports.

Is there a For Dummies method posted for doing this? My best receiver is sending away to FlightAware but I would love to see what it can see.

Just rushed off and looked at RealVNC and now seeing this realise it won’t work.

Is this the way forward? dataplicity.com/

Try with dyndns or noip

Interesting

A VPN make it look like you are on the local network so you have the same access as being physically connected to that network. This means you can access shared folders, sky view, and can SSH into any computer on the local network.

A lot of the new router are including a built-in VPN. Basically you just copy the key file that is on your router to any remote computer and you can access your home network from anywhere in the world.

If your router doesn’t have an built-in VPN you can setup an openVPN server. Look up “openVPN on raspberryPi” for instructions.
This involves installing the openVPN server software on the raspberry pi, making keys, and then installing the remote client software and keys on each computer that needs access to your home network.

Just a bit of warning that anyone with the key can access your home network.

As was said, if you open ports 80 and 8080 on your router, then you can view your map by typing your public IP into any browser. Then you can use a free DDNS service like NoIP to setup a free web address which links to your IP. The end result looks like http://airplanes.ddns.net.

V3 and up of PiAware uses lighttpd as the webserver on port 80. This is a much more robust webserver than the one that was built into earlier versions of PiAware and which ran, and still runs, on port 8080. While there is some additional risk, opening port 80 to the internet is not as big a problem with lighttpd as it was with earlier versions. For example, simply submitting an invalid URL would crash the old built in webserver. Lighttpd returns 404, which is the correct response.

I use a web proxy from an apache webserver to my PiAware. Setting that up is beyond the scope of this post, but so far, touch wood, it has not been a problem.

You could forward some obscure port to your internal PiAware port 80. …security by obscurity…not great, but it might help a bit.

8080 is lighttpd now.

I use remot3.it for remote access. You can set up connections that let you SSH, VNC and HTTP remotely to your Pi.

Greetings,
Can somebody please help me in configuring my router so that i can view FlightFeeder Skyview map from outside of my local network, like on my cellphone when i am not at home. I am very new to this and i tried port forwarding in my router with following settings but it didn’t work.
SERVICE PORT: 8080
INTERNAL PORT: 8080
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.0.100 (FLIGHTFEEDER’s IP)

I tried on my cellphone by typing my ISP IP address (183.82.66.77:8080) but it didn’t work. I have a TP-Link router and FlightFeeder 7.7.1.

Thanks

How to:
noip.com/support/knowledgeba … orwarding/

Forward TCP port 8080 to internal TCP port 8080. Port 80 should NOT be forwarded, not needed and affects the internal webserver of the router.

Nothing is working, tried everything. Even switched routers.

Seems simple enough but I just tried the settings on my router and no luck. Really want to be able to do this.

I’m using dataplicity. You can open and close (wormhole) port 80 when needed from website interface of dataplicity… No need to hassle with router settings. It aldo has nice web based ssh terminal.

1 Like

Does it work with FlightFeeder 7.7.1?