Raspberry Pi 5

I meant horizontal spacing between USB-2 and USB-3 ports.
Wide dongles cannot fit side by side if spacing is like that of Pi Model 4.

I think the horizontal spacing between the USB connectors is also the same between the RPi 4 and RPi 5 (the PC board size is the same).

1 Like

It’s unchanged, they’re next to each other.

1 Like

Even with an airspy a pi 4 is only running at about 50% capacity without overclocking. The pi 5 is apparently quite a lot more efficient for the same workload, so it should use a bit less power if it’s not doing anything extra. Probably not enough to warrant the purchase price if that’s the only reason for upgrading.

It’s actually worse than a pi 4, which has a 1.2A limit shared between the 4 ports. Apparently you can manually override that limit to get the higher 1.6A limit even when using a 3A PSU, but if the system load is also high that might be a bit much. The 5A is probably a sensible choice if intending to run multiple dongles or other peripherals.

2 Likes

I’ve not looked yet but are there PoE injectors that can supply the extra required current?

Yes there are.
This one is 30W

2 Likes

Excellent. I’m using the TL-POE150S at the moment.

1 Like

There is a good in depth (UK) review of the Pi5 covering most aspects such as power consumption, fan noise, speeds and comparisons with a Pi4.

1 Like