Raspberry Pi 5

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5

Available in October.
About 25 Watts power consumption.
Will require a fan.
Needs Bookworm OS

1 Like

Came in to post the same thing.

I’ve got one on order along with a case, PSU and fan but I wonder if it’ll need a new PoE hat.

Yes, different board form factor & power internals.

From early 2024, we will be offering a new PoE+ HAT. This supports the new location for the four-pin PoE header, and has an L-shaped form factor which allows it to sit inside the Raspberry Pi 5 case without interfering mechanically or disrupting airflow.

1 Like

5V 5A is a bit of an odd choice. The PD support is apparently only to trigger the power supply to allow 5A supply and not negotiate a higher voltage as a phone would. It also means that you are pretty much obligated to get their PSU as usb power supplies that can do 5A at 5V are somewhat unusual. Even 60W plus ones are usually limited to 3A using the higher voltage to increase power instead.

It does seem to have a much better I/O arrangement that should allow the use of multiple peripherals without running out of bandwidth. Using a SSD and a couple of receivers should be possible now.

I’ll be interested to see the idle and continuous power consumption. The pi 4 I use currently draws a consistent 8-9W including powering the airspy, LNA and fan.

It will also be interesting to compare it with some of the Intel based low power boards - a 25W power budget puts it in a different class to the earlier boards and means it’s directly competing with some quite capable machines.

Edit - Having looked at a few benchmarks, the performance appears decent. It’s getting about double the geekbench score as my j4105 celeron board which quite happily runs a whole ton of services including a media server, so quite capable if you don’t need the video handling capability. It’s about half the performance of an N100 board though, and you can already get those for about 50% more and no doubt they will become much more widely available when they show up on the used market.

It makes the pi 5 not quite as obvious a choice for slightly more demanding applications, but the small form factor and decent community support will definitely be plus points.

1 Like

Raspberry Pi 5 Announced for End of October, Here Are the Specs - 9to5Linux

The $60 MSRP for the 4GB model of the Raspberry Pi 5 is pretty reasonable also considering the 2.5x speed improvement compared to a Raspberry Pi 4. The Raspberry Pi 4 4GB model is $55.

1 Like

Phoronix did the first benchmarking

How long till FA have a image for us to run?

I have preordered the 8GB version along with HSF, PSU, and a case as you never know and be cool to mess/play with it.

I thought about preordering one, but I don’t know what I’d do with it. My 6 Pi4’s easily handle the feeder workload with cpu utilization in single digits. My #7 Pi4 manages 4 network printers and is equally under utilized.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’ll immediately do a new sdcard image based on bookworm, but we’re planning to have bookworm packages available shortly after the Pi OS release happens, so you can use their image + our packages.

3 Likes

I’ve decided that the one I’ve got on order will replace the Pi4 I’m using for my ham radio dxcluster. I’ll set it up so it all boots and runs from a Samsung SSD so it’ll be nice and quick for searching the database.

I won’t even consider swapping the one up my mast on my receiver until next year when the new PoE hat is released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYfQ7bRgZg

Youtube channel ExplainingComputers has a quick review of the PI5. Power consumption was not higher than 6 Watts in the tests performed. Might be different under ADS-B workload (although I do not expect this to be a lot higher than on my PI4).

What I am asking myself is if we would see any positive ADS-B performance impact due to the higher data transfer bandwidth, processing power etc.

With a rtlsdr it won’t benefit from more CPU (the Pi 4 has a lot of excess CPU for that task already)

It might benefit from whatever rearrangements were done to the USB controller & I/O paths if you’re running other USB devices.

One problem I foresee is the 600mA USB current limit if you’re using a 15W supply; two dongles and you’re already pushing that.

2 Likes

Another reason that a RPi 5 may not be too suitable for ADS-B is that it requires a fan. I don’t like the idea of a fan running 24/7. According to the RPi 5 reviews the fan in the cooling unit for the RPi 5 is fairly noisy. That noise would drive me nuts after a while.

One problem in all models of RPi is that the USB ports are too close to each other, making it impossible to directly plug-in two or more dongles. Use of USB extender cable becomes inevitable. Anybody knows if in Pi 5 the spacing of USB ports is same or increased?

The reviews I have read have said that the case with fan is a bit noisy but that the active cooler is completely silent.
All depends on whether you need a case or not.

They are the same.

Assume you mean the vertical spacing between the two USB-2 ports and the two USB-3 ports. From what I can see those dual port connectors are the same on the RPi 5 as the Rpi 4 (and RPi 3).

I thought “NetworkChuck” said the active cooler was noisy.

I hadn’t seen that one but several others disagree.
For instance, Tom’s Hardware says:
“For active cooling we tried Pimoroni’s Fan Shim. A board that slides onto the GPIO, still providing access, and not getting in the way. At idle, the Raspberry Pi 5 sat around 29.6 C and was really quiet, not as quiet as the new active cooler, but barely audible.”

I guess we will have to wait until they are out in the wild to really know.strong text