Raspberry Pi 5 fudge

raspberry pi 5 has a problem with piaware 9.0, on the pi 5 it run with bookworm. so right now, save your money.

1 Like

PiAware should be fine with a package install on a Pi 5 running bookworm (we do provide packages for bookworm). You’ll need to use the upstream Raspberry Pi OS image, not the PiAware sdcard image, for the moment.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I’d say save your money as the pi5 is 100x overkill for this :joy:
While it taxes my pi zero w, running around 60% cpu load when I have all the feeders going, even the pi zero 2w is barely warm, running 25% cpu full time and staying nice and cool. The pi 5 is great for lot of things, why tuck it away for this simple task?

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Using Pi5 for ADS-B is “using a cannon to kill a fly” :wink:

3 Likes

An older laptop is much more cost efficient at this point.
$80 for a Pi5 versus a free laptop.
Or even if you buy one, I see older Dell Latitude (with something like i5-6300U) on eBay for like $120

$80 is a gross under-estimate.

$80 for Pi5
Plus $xx for Power Supply Unit
Plus $xx for Cooling Fan
Plus $xx for case

1 Like

I wish they hadn’t decided to make it so power supply dependent. I don’t need their babysitter throttling me and kicking up constant warnings because I’m not supplying it with a 5A usb-pd line which I’m never going to need. Really restricts the uses for it. The zero 2w has proven to be more than capable for most of my projects and they are finally back in stock in most stores.

I am using TV Box H96 Max for ADS-B by replacing it’s Android OS by Armbian Bookworm.
I purchased it from Aliexpress last year for Canadian $40 = US $30 (including Power Supply Unit) AND Free Shipping.

SPECS OF UNIT I PURCHASED:
Chipset : RK3318 Quad-Core 64bit Cortex-A53
GPU: Penta-Core Mali-450 Up to 750Mhz
FLASH: EMMC 32GB
SDRAM 4GB DDR3

1 Like

@abcd567
Here is what I spent on my RPi 5.

$80 = RPi 5
$28 = POE Hat w/Cooling Fan
$ 1 = Hardware to add RPi 5 to my 3D printed Pi Rack

This RPi 5 replaced an overburdened RPi 4. It runs ADSB and AIS dongles as well as functioning as a network print server using CUPS and an image scan server using SANE. Why waste hardware resources by limiting them to a single task?

3 Likes

You have done a good utilization of RPi5.

But I do NOT require a network print server as I have only one HP printer-scanner in my home which is capable to directly connect to my local network through WiFi. I can therefore print from my Desktop, Laptop, and phone using HP supplied apps installed on desktop, laptop, and phone without need for a print server.

The printer-scanner’s scan funtion can also be operated from Desktop, Laptop and Phone using HP suplied Apps installed on the desktop, laptop and phone.

I dont have any other use of RPi except AIS which is installed on one of my Pi4, both ADSB and AIS run fine without any issue.

But how much was that quality street box of candy? :candy:

2 Likes

@abcd567
I imagine the RPI4 is overkill for just ADS-B and AIS. I wish my RPi & IoT devices could talk to my Windows printers. Can you print from your RPi4 to your Windows controlled wi-fi printer? Please share the “how to” because I haven’t found a way that actually works. I’d also like to print from a Tizen device, but it may not be possible.

(1) The WiFi printer is NOT windows controlled. It is controlled by whichever HP app is started, HP windows app on Desktop, or HP windows app on Laptop, or HP android app on phone.

(2) I dont have anything on my RPi4 to print, so never bothered to find a way to do this.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

If you bought it at Loblaw’s it could maybe double the price of the Pi setup.

1 Like

I put CUPS on my RPi 4 so I could print directly from it to a WiFi printer. Sounds a little nutty to do that, but I find that if I want to figure out how some code works or how a long script works, I can study it better from a piece of paper rather than a screen. Old school – suspenders and belt.

4 Likes

I dont know the price of Quality Street box, nor know from where my wife purchased it…The only thing I can tell is that these tasted very good, and I ate most of the toffees in the box :wink: .

4 Likes

got it done>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

got it fixed! thanks everybody.