Raspberry PI 2 on sale at $35 (not an advert :) )

Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1
Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.

raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

And grumble grumble here in the States Adafruit’s website is overloaded http://www.adafruit.com – I’ll take 4.

Very mixed feelings on the WIndows 10 thing though – like watching the kid next door grow up only to see them turning cheap tricks on a street corner…

bob k6rtm

Of course this happens when I have another B+ being delivered today. I suspect there will be a long lead time anyways…

They are out of stock…and charging $45?!

Same here, got one on Wed and they did that… needless to say I’m not impressed but I’ll buy it eventually.

I’ve got an old 256mb B that needs to taken out behind the barn and shot – it’s a pain to deal with. On the back-in-stock notification list for Adafruit for the Pi 2. I’ll bet on a week and a half.

But windows 10? I’d rather have herpes.

bob k6rtm

While many people are probably not looking forward to Windows on a Pi, it would probably really help people get into developing if there wasn’t such a steep learning curve to get GPIO access.

I’d consider replacing the Arduino in my truck (accessory management system I built) but I don’t think the stability is there for on/off operations without clean shutdown.

pretty beastly machine…plenty of computing power for piaware and other stuff

I’ll be getting one to run planeplotter on so I can direct upload from the PI - hmm I’d better go read the required specs :wink:

the only thing we now need is a REAL *nix pi version for VRS, and the pi is a beast !

Ordered… now we wait.

My decoder will still be faster! :stuck_out_tongue:

Pity about the falling Australian dollar. :frowning:

Damn you, Jankowski!!

Looking into a server now… my wife thanks you for draining our bank account…

True! It’s the latest, greatest and fastest. Is it really necessary or will it offer any benefit with the standard PiAware?

I have an old unused Beaglebone Black which I have been thinking about trying, but just haven’t gotten around to it.

Probably not, unless you live close to a very active airport – I run dump1090-mobility and PiAware on an early 256mb model B (overclocked to 900 MHz), and it runs just fine. I’ve stripped down the system image and thrown out all the desktop stuff, Apache2 and a lot more, and cut video memory back to 16mb to provide as much of that 256mb to applications.

(Historical note – I spent a number of years at Digital Equipment Corporation. We developed the first few versions of the VAX/VMS operating system on an 11/780 with a mighty TWO megabytes of memory! And that machine supported most of the software development team doing timesharing and supporting multiple batch streams! Disk storage was a few hundred megabytes.)

bob k6rtm

For me it will be interesting to see how it handles VRS using mono. I want it to use the RTL but not sure how the micro SD will cope with the constant read/writing.

$53AU Wiltronics. Already shipped so maybe late next week for delivery.

It’s all virtual man!

As an aside, you’re going to beat my stats for today, maybe… I upgraded storage on my server and it wasn’t as smooth as I wanted it to be, then I had to (unrelated reasons I am sure) blow out the VM and reload it. Maybe I should make a backup this time? haha!