Radar Service Terminated ...

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident, while checking for speeding motorists on the A-1 Great North Road.

One of the officers (who are not named) used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300mph. The machine then stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

The radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet over the North Sea , which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style. ‘Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had automatically locked on to your ‘hostile radar equipment’ and sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, the Sidewinder Air-to-ground missiles aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also locked on to the target. Fortunately the Dutch pilot flying the Tornado responded to the missile status alert intelligently and was able to override the automatic protection system before the missile was launched’.

I find it difficult to believe that the missile system would be set in an automatic mode (needing an override to PREVENT firing) while operating in a non-hostile environment.

Edit to add that Snopes Agrees

This fairy tale is so old it’ll soon be eligible for Medicare!

I probably first heard it 40 years ago relating to a Bundespolizei radar unit on the Autobahn in DE versus an F-4G Wild Weasel!

An ECM pulse in response to someone painting your aircraft with their radar is considered a hostile act and is never an automated reaction unless you’re in an active combat zone. Even then it’s highly unlikely to be an automated act as it will identify your aircraft as being a target of interest for counter-action.

snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp

Not to mention AIM-9 Sidewinders are Air-to-Air weapons only.

I know, but it was too good a tale not to post.

Ummmm - so you’re not perfect after all… 8)

Gotcha - you’ve been PUNKD… :stuck_out_tongue:

That was probably their funny way of saying screw off!

you think… 8)

nope, sure not. Don’t recall ever putting that in my profile anywhere. I thought it was you who claimed to fly with the angels.

Even though we as sons/daughters of God are envied by angels - we are not perfect - even though we may fly with them & be protected by them - we are not perfect - but neither are we masked or cloaked/stealth/ZORO (or at least I’m not!!!). :unamused:
jan whispers to CA* (what profile???) :blush:

I always say - if you have an itch - scratch it - good job CFI!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll third that…

Same here.

[quote=“CAFlier”]

SO - there you have it CFI: Matt 18:16-17 NKJV

But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established .’

:wink: :arrow_right:

Finally, Sidewinders are heat seeking and would be worthless against a radar unit . . . .

I found this while cleaning out my email & reminded me of CA’s response of flying with angels…

ANGEL’S PLAYMATE

Looking at the teardrop
Lying behind the nose
Gently feeling the smoothly
Finished skin
As the air rushes
Past the outstretched arms
Feet dance, to keep her steady
While energy increases
She picks up speed
The wind passing beautifully
Over the laminar flow