Question re: Presidential Airlift Support

Although the 747 used for presidential airlift support is flying today it will eventually be replaced by something else in the future.

Would you, as American taxpayers (if the term so applies to you), welcome an open competition between manufacturers or would you prefer to see a distinctly American Company (i.e. Boeing) be sole sourced to build a new presidential support aircraft?

Interested to hear your thoughts…

Cheers…

Point’s basically moot as no politician will do anything other than “Buy American”, even though the replacement for Marine 1 is an EC built AugustaWestland Kestrel:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/US101-CZG-082007-002.jpg

I can’t quite visualize the president of the USA visiting a foreign nation and arriving in an A380!

NO! These are the same people who yell at political enemies for the exportation/outsourcing of jobs/labor. This would be the epidemy of hypocrisy. As JHEM said, it is a moot point; no american politican would take a foreign product over an american product.

NO!

No!No!No!

No! … but don’t think they won’t do it.

Speaking of which, it must be getting close to that time. The current fleet has been in service for eighteen years. I think this is a longer time period then previous ‘primary’ presidential aircraft. I think the previous VC-137’s entered service around 1972. These started service in late 1990.

If Obama is elected president, will he ride around in a hybrid limo?
http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2007/10/6-door-toyota-prius-limo-this-is-the-opposite-of-what-the-hybrid-is-about.jpg

NO!

So far we’re off to a good start…Thank You for your responses my friends…

However, I should point out, although it would appear the selection of a non-U.S. company is a long shot I would posit the point is far from “moot.”

To the contrary, it is a “leggy” discussion point and it is certainly on the minds of policy makers and politicians, warfighters and wonks and citizens and companies…particularly after the “Marine One” and KC-45 decisions.

As more corporations build lasting partnerships, it may be rather difficult to avoid a non-U.S. led effort without legislation.

As a caveat…if not an EADS product, then what? What would you select as the next primary presidential lift platform if able? As always, I look froward to hearing from you…

I think the President will always have the flaghip american (Boeing) product, because you can see the President as the flagship person (at least I can). Right now, it is the 747. But really, I think using the 747 is more of an image of the almost God? like presence of the President of AMERICA!

Normally I’d say the next choice would be the 787, but I can’t see the powers that be choosing a two engine aircraft for carrying the individual who is arguably the most important person in the world.

Should an other than American company be invited to build a new presidential support aircraft?

In my opinion, No! It SHOULDN’T. Still, I could see how the extra room in an A380 could be used as the basis for choosing a foreign manufacturer. I can’t help but to think how cramped the ruler of the free world must feel in such a tiny, little 747. :unamused:

Wouldn’t the A380 limit the number of airports the President could fly to? It is bigger than the 747 but it also needs longer and wider runways.

I can see the 747-400 or 747-8 being used as the next presidential aircraft.

AHHHhhhhh… Good point! Didn’t think 'bout that. I’m sure they could supe 'em up for better takeoff and landing performance like they did for the current 744s. Still, no doubt that the 747 would be a better choice in that regard.

The VC-25s don’t rack up all that much milage.

Aging aircraft are no longer a real problem and those two get the best of maintenance.

I would venture to say that the VC-25 replacement is not even an apple in any manufacturer’s eye.

I’m not sure how much use they do or don’t get. They may do more flying then what you read about in the newspaper. Either way, an aircraft (and any machine) that gets less use tends to have more problems then one that’s always in use.

Politics and government procurement foul ups aside, I don’t think we need to skimp on our President’s transportation or security.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tmz.com/media/2008/05/0529_bush_helicopter.jpg

TMZ ran a story about one of the Presidential support helicopters having a problem in Utah last week. Why didn’t they just order these off the shelf for Marine One??? The C-32/757’s were acquired through an off the shelf purchasing program. I think its a modified Sikorsky S-80… I’m not sure. A battle tested, proven design.
http://www.tmz.com/2008/05/29/president-bush-has-problem-getting-it-up/

[quote=“wazzu90”]
I’m not sure how much use they do or don’t get. They may do more flying then what you read about in the newspaper. Either way, an aircraft (and any machine) that gets less use tends to have more problems then one that’s always in use.

I do.

They are used for currency training a few times during the month and just before a mission.

The 89th airwing is virtually accident/incident free and they fly very few trips compared to the other units of the USAF.[/quote]

/http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tmz.com/media/2008/05/0529_bush_helicopter.jpg

TMZ ran a story about one of the Presidential support helicopters having a problem in Utah last week. Why didn’t they just order these off the shelf for Marine One??? The C-32/757’s were acquired through an off the shelf purchasing program. I think its a modified Sikorsky S-80… I’m not sure. A battle tested, proven design.
http://www.tmz.com/2008/05/29/president-bush-has-problem-getting-it-up/

Something very wrong with this image. Civillians even military personnel not connected with VMX would ever be aloud unfettered access to a presidential support helicopter.

To my knowledge this type of access was never aloud even at the Andrews AFB Joint Military Open House.

Something very wrong with this image. Civillians even military personnel not connected with VMX would ever be aloud unfettered access to a presidential support helicopter.

Come on, those are all undercover members of the secret service. :laughing:

:blush:
Pardon the typo HMX is the Marine sqd that transports the man.

As always…thanks for the replies…

…and I’d check the veracity of that helo picture too…

Cheers…