Problems installing PiAware on Bullseye device

I am using an Inovato Quadra device for feeding data to FlightRadar24 and it works flawlessly. I figured I would also feed to FlighAware, but keep having problems during the install. Here is the error I get:

Any suggestions?

@kb0npw

To help you and debug the problem, first thing required is to know what is the OS and architecture of your machine. For this purpose, please post output of following commands:

uname -a

lsb_release -a

dpkg --print-architecture

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures

cat /etc/os-release

you have architecture arm64, i.e 64-bit OS and machine.
The packages avaialble at Flightaware are for armhf (i.e. 32-bit OS) and require armhf (32-bit) dependencies, which seems to be unavailable in arm64 (64-bit) repository.

Please use one of the following two options:

(1) FAST: Install pre-built packages for 64-bit OS
https://github.com/abcd567a/rpi/blob/master/README.md

(2) LENGTHY: Build & Install 64-bit packages from source-code
https://github.com/abcd567a/piaware-ubuntu-debian-amd64/blob/master/README.md

3 Likes

Worked like a charm! It’s installed and registered. Now, all I need to do is to figure out why it’s not sending data. FlightRadar24 feed is still working properly, which is good, but I need to do some digging as to why I have no data going to FlightAware.

I feel Flightradar24 has installed dump1090-mutability and may be you have installed dump1090-fa on top of it. Let us check what you have installed. Please post output of following commands

apt-cache policy dump1090-mutability

apt-cache policy dump1090-fa

Good that you have only one dump1090, not both.

(1) Let us check piaware logs to see why piaware is not sending data.
Please post output of following command

sudo journalctl -u piaware -e

(2) Let us also check settings of your FR24 feeder.
Please post output of following commands:

grep receiver /etc/fr24feed.ini

grep host /etc/fr24feed.ini

NOTE: If required, you can view & change FR24 settings from followig page in your browser in your Desktop or Laptop

IP-OF-Inovato_Quadra:8754/settings.html

1 Like

@kb0npw

The culprit is:
reciver=“dvbt”

STEP-1
Edit file fr24feed.ini

sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini

In this file:
(a) Delete following line:
`receiver=“dvbt”

(b) Add following two lines:
receiver="avr-tcp"
host="127.0.0.1:30002"

STEP-2
Issue following command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability

It will open a box shown below asking if dump1090-mutability be started automatically. Move selection to YES, making it red (as shown inscreenshot below) then press Enter Key.

dpkg-reconfigure

The display will move to differen options one by one. Keep pressing Enter key to accept default settings presented.

At one stage pressing Enter key wont make it go to next step because OK button is not highlighted red. Use Tab key to make OK button red then press Enter key.
Continue like this till all options are over amd popup closes.

Reboot Quadro and after 5 minutes check status of FR24 and Piaware

sudo fr24feed-status

sudo journalctl -u piaware -e

1 Like

I cannot begin to thank you enough! What a tremendous help you have been. Everything is now running as it should. I am printing some of this info, just in case I need it in the future. Have a great weekend!

Kenny

2 Likes

For some reason, both feeders just randomly stop sending data. I can reboot the Quadra, and all works well, but a few minutes later, it stops feeding data to FR24 and Flight Aware. Any suggestions?

Possibly dump1090 stops working, so both FA and FR24 feeders dont get data to send. One of the reason this may happen is hardware (dongle) failure.

Please obtain by following commands, and post logs of dump1090, fr24 and fa:

tail -20 /var/log/dump1090-mutability.log   

sudo journalctl -u piaware -n 20   

sudo fr24feed-status   

‘0 in last 5mins’

No traffic/data will be self resetting to try and resolve and then give up.

It’s so weird. I rebooted the computer again, and it’s now working again, but I don’t expect it to last.

For dump1090-mutability, you have used wrong command. Instead of tail, you have used sudo.

The correct command is as follows:

tail -20 /var/log/dump1090-mutability.log

Please issue correct command and post output

The logs of piaware and fr24feed show they are working ok. Log of piaware shows it initially received 531 messages, but currently is not receiving any messages (received 0 in last 5 minutes).

Shows dump1090-mutability is not working. It is important that you issue correct command (starting with tail -20, and NOT starting with sudo -20.

@kb0npw

The log shows that the dump1090-mutability is NOT running by system service. It is was run mannually by command dump1090-mutability OR sudo dump1090-mutability.

Please:
(1) Do NOT start dump1090-mutability by hand by giving such commands.
(2) Stop any such copy already running by following command:

sudo killall dump1090-mutability

The dump1090-mutability logs also show it was NOT started automatically at boot. To check what is automatic start setting, please post output of following command:

grep START_DUMP1090 /etc/default/dump1090-mutability

This is what I get when I give above command. The “yes” is the correct setting:

This is what I get when dump1090-mutability is started automatically by system service: