Problems installing PiAware on Bullseye device

@kb0npw

What is output of following command?

sudo systemctl status dump1090-mutability

I get following on my healthy installation:

Greate!
Now that you have killed the hand-started copy of dump1090-mutability, freeing the dongle, it is grabbed by system-started copy of dump1090-mutability. Everything is expected to be ok. Do following:

(1) Just check logs again by following commands.

sudo journalctl -u piaware -n 20  

tail -20 /var/log/dump1090-mutability.log      

sudo fr24feed-status

(2) To make sure everythinf works OK, reboot Quadro and after reboot, check above logs again.

Although piaware log and FR24 status show that they are receiving messages from dump1090-mutability, the dump1090-mutability logs show it to be logs of a hand-started instance. May be it is old log.

Please Reboot Quadro

(1) After Reboot check dump1090-mutability log and status again

This is what I get after reboot:

(2) After Reboot, also check status

This is what I get after reboot:

@kb0npw

What are outputs of following commands?

grep LOGFILE /etc/default/dump1090-mutability

grep DUMP1090_USER /etc/default/dump1090-mutability

On my healthy system, following are the outputs of above commands:

@kb0npw

What is output of following command?
(It outputs contents of FR24 config file, but hides the fr24 key)

sed '/fr24key/d' /etc/fr24feed.ini

This is what I get

I think I might finally be in business, thanks to your help @abcd567

See what you think:

Great! So far so good.

I hope you have rebooted the Quadro.
After REBOOT, do a final check of dump1090-mutability by following commands:

These results were after a reboot. So far, this is the longest it has run continuously without issues. Greatly appreciate all your help @abcd567

2 Likes

@abcd567 is there any way to permanently assign a local IP address to the Quadra so that if power ever goes out, the router won’t keep assigning it a new number? Sucks to have to go to the router device table to find out the device IP address to run the status panels.

METHOD-1: One way is to set static IP in your router’s settings, using mac address of Pi. The exact method depends on the make and model of router.

METHOD-2: The other mathod is to set static IP in file dhcpcd.conf of RaspberryPi OS of your Pi.

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

interface [INTERFACE]
static routers=[ROUTER IP]
static domain_name_servers=[DNS IP]
static ip_address=[STATIC IP ADDRESS YOU WANT]/24

If you are using wired internet, replace [INTERFACE] by eth0

If you are using WiFi internet, replace [INTERFACE] by wlan0

For full details, please see this guide:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/static-ip-raspberry-pi

I simply log into the router and list DHCP assignments, Pick the one that matches your Raspberry Pi and reserve it in the router. Then the DHCP will always assign the reserved IP address to the mac address of the RPi.

I do this with every device on my home network. It creates a simple single point to manage ip addresses and identify devices.

That would also be depending on the capability of the router. My router can only have 10 DHCP addresses in reservations and I have an average on 54 devices in the network. When all is active that will increase to 75 IP addresses, way beyond the reservation scope of the router :wink:
And yeah I do have such an extensive network at home :sunglasses:

1 Like

@tomvdhorst

I have a crappy router from Spectrum (Sagemcom F@ST 5260) that can be purchased on Amazon for less than $30. :frowning: I have yet to reach any DHCP reservation limits. The reservations are now at 30 and I expect to add another 10 reservations now that a 11 port POE switch is arriving today. Like you, I have a large and growing home network. I will replace the router when 802.11ax (WiFi 6e) client 6 GHz hardware becomes more readily available. :smile:

3 Likes

Got a permanent IP address assigned, but in the process of doing everything, data stopped feeding. Shows that Dump1090 mutability has been exited. I’ve rebooted and everything.

What are outputs of these commands?

sudo journalctl -u piaware -n 20

sudo fr24feed-status

The problem started when I removed a bluetooth dongle from the Inovato Quadra. Within a couple of minutes, my radio stopped feeding. And when I check dump1090-mutability status, it says “active exited”

Back up and running, although I really don’t know what I did to fix it lol

“No supported RTLSDR devices found”

Hardware problem. Possible reasons are:

Either dongle was NOT properly plugged into USB port of Quadro, and movement of dongle fixed it.

OR

Quadro’s that particular USB port is loose/defective. Try another USB port.

OR

In case you are using a USB cable to connect dongle to Quadro, the cable is defective.

OR

Power Supply unit is bad (low voltage)

OR

The dongle is failing.

To check power supply unit / low voltage, issue following command and post it’s output (if voltage is ok, there will be no output of this command)

sudo dmesg --ctime | grep voltage