Piaware wifi bug?

I have configured my Pi according to the instructions in How to Install and Configure Piaware 5.0 SD card image - Quickstart Guide. I soon found out that the wifi interface did not come up. When I looked at /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf I found that the last character in my psk was missing. This character was “#”. I removed “#” from the key (changing the router configuration) and then it started working. The key is not extremely long so probably piaware has a problem with “#”. With Raspbian, Windows, MacOS, Debian, IoS and others I can use the original key!

1 Like

With special characters the password should be enclosed in simple quotes like this:

"password"

But this should probably have a remark in the guide to caution users before they have to go down the rabbit hole like you did :wink:

2 Likes

LOL…What a coincidence. The password is ‘telling’ Piaware to ignore everything after the #, which is part of the password.

Thank you for mentioning the correct meaning of the quotes, @wiedehopf . I thought it meant a field that needs to be populated with your specific value.

2 Likes

Well, I used quotes!

That’s indeed a bug then.

for password like abcd#efgh try escape character \ before special character #
(untested, just a brain wave :slight_smile:)

wireless-password abcd\#efgh

sudo reboot

Well you might need that in addition to the quotes when the quotes alone don’t help.
Anyway that’s still a bug.

Good idea! But unfortunately it didn’t work.

Deviating from main topic, just for fun.
You can generate random 32 characters password like this :slightly_smiling_face:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9~!@#$%^&*_()+}{?></";.,[]=-' < /dev/urandom | fold -w 32 | head -n 1

~wGBAvcR=dDz<Q8-VjQ0A8rq4RjS-8;=

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9~!@#$%^&*_()+}{?></";.,[]=-' < /dev/urandom | fold -w 32 | head -n 1

{[qL9GzU3&SfsYu]52t~0RA}k->[f(BK

1 Like

Quotes should work. Let me poke at the config code.
(edit) It seems OK from a first look, though I don’t have a test system on hand. Will poke at it on a real system later.

Thank you for looking into this!

I can’t reproduce this problem on the 3.7.1 sdcard image.

pi@piaware:~ $ grep wireless-password /boot/piaware-config.txt 
wireless-password "abcd#defg#"
pi@piaware:~ $ piaware-config -showall 2>&1 | grep wireless-password
wireless-password              "abcd#defg#"                   # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:49
pi@piaware:~ $ sudo grep psk /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa-roam.conf
  psk="abcd#defg#"

If you like, you could mail the problematic piaware-config.txt to oliver.jowett@flightaware.com (as an attachment, please) and I can see if it’s something specific to that file.