Piaware - problem Wi-Fi

Hi
I am a new user - first of all I would like to say hello.
I have a problem with connecting to the Wi-Fi network - everything works fine with a cable. After installing raspberry-pi, I checked the system - I connected without any problems. After uploading the PiAware image and network configuration according to the documentation - I cannot connect to Wi-Fi. I looked through similar topics, but I didn’t find an answer. Two different working WiFi cards connected to two different routers… Maybe someone has an idea how to solve the problem? Sorry for my English.

I feel a “boomworm doesn’t work with wpa_suplicant anymore” sticky coming on.

Use raspi-config

2 Likes

I have lready posted this in Flightradar24 Forum about their current image which is Bookworm based

WIFI ACTIVATION ON CURRENT PI24 IMAGE

An alternate is that do NOT to use Pi24 image. Instead use RaspberryPi OS image, writing it to microSD card using Raspberry Pi Imager, which has facility to configure WiFi SSID & Password at the time of writing the image to microSD card.

After powering up Pi with newly written microSD card, thr FR24 feeder can be installed by following command:

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"   

Linked below is Official Guid to Use Raspberry Pi Imager

@Pawel284
@oblivian

Since Piaware SD card image is still Bullseye based, its WiFi can be configured while the microsd Card is still in card reader of Deskto / Laptop.

Please follow WiFi item of this official guide.

https://www.flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

On above page, scroll down to following item

Alternative - Quick Guide

While microSD card is still in card reader of Desktop / Laptop, in Windows explorer / File Explorer, click on drive letter of microSD card. This will open /boot folder of the microSD card in this folder you will see a file piaware-config.txt, and scroll down to following part:

# Wifi SSID and password.
# This should be changed to match your wireless
# network SSID and, for networks that require
# a passphrase, the passphrase.
wireless-ssid MyWifiNetwork 
wireless-password s3cr3t 

Replace MyWifiNetwork with the name of your WiFi (aka the SSID of your local network)

Replace s3cr3t with the password to your WiFi

Reading his post, has tried.

So wouldn’t it be more prudent to use the gui config now for all?

Rules out the lack of "s. Rules out the double file extension issues.
And enables it all in one.

I’ll admit I’ve not built anything off an image to see if it’s included.
But theres far too many fragmented instructions and users not knowing which takes highest priority

I have recently built following

(1) Latest Piaware SD card image which is Bullseye based. This image never used wpa_supplicant.conf in its /boot folder. Instead it used piaware-config.txt in its /boot folder which is visible in Windows when microSD card is plugged into card reader slot of Desktop / Laptop.

(2) Latest RaspberryPi OS image Bookworm. Unlike Buster and Bullseye, it no more configures WiFi by adding file wpa_supplicant.conf in /boot partition. The only way to enable WiFi at first boot is to write the RaspberryPi OS image using Raspberry Pi Imager.

(3) Latest Flightradar24 Pi24 image, which is now Bookworm based. It neither accepts wpa_suplicant.conf in /boot folder, nor it gets WiFi configured when using Raspberry Pi Imager, and using “custom” for selecting Pi24 image as OS.

The only way to activate WiFi is to connect a network wire to Pi, ssh, and run following command

sudo raspi-config

The WiFi is configured as follows:

In the dialog opened select “System Options” and press Enter Key

In the dialog opened select “Wireless LAN” and press Enter Key

In the dialog opened enter your WiFi SSID and next WiFi Password.

Screenshot_20240206_194108_Termux

1 Like

And then you have legacy image, and ones where people upgraded.

If raspi-config is common across all OS versions I’d be leaning to tell everyone you use it. More and more people less inclined/know CLI and just want an out of box image and go.
Obviously that’s not so easily common compared if you suddenly need to edit/manipulate files manually.

At least a straight forward basic gui would be

Yes, sudo raspi-config is common to:

• Pi24 image
  • Piaware SD Card image
  • RaspberryPi OS image

However to use sudo raspi-config on first boot, one has to:

• Either
    Connect Network (Ethernet) wire to Pi
  • OR
    Connect Monitor & Keyboard to Pi

I think Raspberry Pi Imager is the easiest solution for both Pi24 image (Bookworm) and RaspberryPi OS (Bookworm). Since Flightaware has not yet released Bookworm based Piaware SD card image, we cant say anything about it.

I have just now written latest P124 image (Bookworm based) to microSD card using Raspberry Pi Imager.

In the Imager, I set

• User name and user password (example: username=pi and password=raspberry, but it can be anything else also)
  • Enabled SSH
  • WiFi SSID and WiFi password

After Imager finished writing Pi24 OS on microSD card, I slipped microSD card in RPi, and powered up. Waited for 5 minutes and tried to SSH on WiFi, but no success. :slightly_frowning_face:

I then disconnected power from RPi, and after 30 sec, reconnected power. Waited for about 2 minutes, then tried to SSH on WiFi, and this time I succeeded. :slightly_smiling_face: