Pi Booting Issue

Hey folks,

I’ve just set up a fresh Pi and I’m getting the following error upon boot:

“Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)”

Has anybody run into this issue with Piaware/Raspian? My initial plan after doing some research on the issue is to pick up a fresh SD card and drop only the FA img file onto it. Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to to fix.

Thanks!

You could try plugging the SD card into a Linux machine and run an fsck before spending money on a new one.

sudo fsck.ext4 -fy /dev/<device file where the filesystem is stored such as sdc2> 

The is caused by file corruption on the SD card. This most likely happens when unplugging the power without doing a “sudo halt”. This is a very rare event even if you unplug the power all the time without “sudo halt” (less than a 1 in 1,000 chance).

You can run a FSK and see if the error is fixable. The PiAware image will also auto run FSK on boot if it can get that far. Either way if FSK doesn’t work then you would need to write a complete PiAware image to the SD card.
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

Follow the same instructions that you did before to create a PiAware. The SD cards are usually smart enough to know if a block is physically bad and not use them doing the image copy. If you are still getting bad block errors the SD card is trash.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up replacing the card after I couldn’t get it to format. Must have been a bad card as it faulted on the initial boot of the Pi.

All is well now. Thanks!