Perfect Vision inline amp is your friend... :)

I’m new here and have been running a FA PiAware SD Card image in a Raspberry Pi2 since March 10th and have been reading and testing various configurations and home-made antenna designs. But earlier this week I read that others have tried an inline satellite TV amp with good results. So, from my satellite TV install days I knew that I had one or more of those amps kicking around in the garage/shop. Sure enough I found one and a power insert-er and 24V power supply.

Now, over the last few weeks I been trying different variations of the ‘spider’ some with bent legs and another with a flat disc and still another with a dome shape, but nothing worked much better than the 4-legged spider. And I thought I was doing good with about 20,000 positions reports per day with a few out beyond 200 NM.

But then I added the Perfect Vision inline amp and power insert-er. Now it hasn’t even been a day and I’ve doubled my average position reports and also seen a 50% increase in aircraft seen with some out beyond 250 NM.

I’m very pleased I stumbled across this site while looking for Raspberry Pi projects during a blizzard in late February. Everyone seems very knowledgeable and very polite as well. So, I think I might hang around a bit, if that’s OK?

…Tom :smiley:

Impressive coverage for being so far out in the sticks - I guess most of the traffic you see is passing high between the USA and Europe and where that goes depends on the weather patterns … try not to fly against strong head winds, try to take advantage of any tailwinds - and over that distance the traffic can easily fly around whole weather systems.

Cool, can you link to what you bought?

I didn’t buy anything for this job, the parts I had on hand from my satellite TV installation days. But here are the parts I used.

Perfect Vision In-Line PVLA-30 Satellite Amplifier 30dB Gain 950-1750MHz
PCT Power Inserter MPI-1G Remote Power Inserter
AC/DC adapter 24VDC with F-type female connector, model no. AH2424-B. I’m not sure where this came from, but it looks like it might belong to one of these switches, Zinwell MS4X8WB-Z and can supply 750ma @ 24V.

Here’s a picture…

I ordered one of these back on March 31st to try and got about the same impressive results on my Detroit site. I think I installed it on April 2nd and it made a huge improvement, I haven’t been able to get the antenna installed outside yet, but inside now I have double my reporting using this amp. I actually followed the idea I got from another thread of using a diplexer as a highpass filter as well so my setup is Antenna > AMP > Diplexer > Power Inserter > Receiver

AMP
amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPH … 4SUVHMSGJD

Diplexer
amazon.com/gp/product/B00684 … YPVJHBMBHI

Power Inserter
amazon.com/gp/product/B003C2 … 5JELIXUF7W

Thanks for the diplexer tip, I’ll have to give that a try. I think I must have read the same thread about the same time as you. But I managed to scrap together the parts from left overs during my satellite TV install days.

…tuning is fun, Tom

Thanks for the info! I’ll have to go do some digging when I get home, pretty sure I have one of those power inserters from an old DirecTV box. Will let you know my results, if I find it.

Looks like these Perfect Vision amps are the bees knees. Pity we can’t get them in the UK without paying a massive postage charge. Any of you guys coming over for a holiday :wink:

Something like this should be comparable in the UK

amazon.co.uk/Konig-Inline-Sa … B001U4KTU6

do a web search for satellite in line amplifier. Your local suppliers and brands should pop up.

it’s all about being GREEN, right? Reduce/Recycle/Reuse :wink:

Have a great weekend, Tom

It’s more or less what I use … on a 15v supply

I can re-ship you one if you need it.

Though it’s not ‘perfect Vision’ brand, you can find amplifiers on ebay.co.uk … search for ‘lnb amplifier’

what is more awkward is finding a power injector - no one seems to have them on ebay/amazon. You can get one here (as well as an amplifier) gionlineshop.co.uk/product_r … p=DC-BLOCK (add £3.50 postage + whatever VAT) … then you need a power supply to suit the amplifier.

If buying from the USA - make sure the wall wart has a 230/240v rating for main supply.

also before connecting any amplifier - stick a multimeter on the resistance setting between the inner and outer of your antenna downlink cable. If it shows a resistance - you will need a DC blocker above the amplifier too.

Hello,
from Germany I ordered following and using it.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B001TNSAFY
http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B002KDU19A
http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B008CO6QQS

The amplifier has a wide input voltage range from 5 to 18 volt. I used a standard 12v power supply.
/ludger

I’ve used these two with inline satellite amps with success (they’re a combined PSU + injector):

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KHTMJMG
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AE4X2RU

While the inline amps often talk about 15+V that is more about the voltages they’re designed to pass upstream towards the LNB in a satellite system, the amplifier itself seems happy to power itself off 12V.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Are you guys using DC blocks to prevent a shorting opportunity at the antenna? I would assume if you have a shorted coco you would have to get a DC block.

Yes I have a DC blocker between the amp & antenna. More for peace of mind as my antenna elements are not shorted by design.

And, I checked the DC power inserter with an Ohm meter to make sure DC was blocked from getting to the dongle as well.

…Tom

So, I found the power inserter from my old DirecTV setup. I got excited and plugged stuff in without paying attention and fried my ads-b stick. Can you verify the proper way to connect that into the setup? Also, I have been using the antenna that came with the ADS-B Stick. Should I stick with that for now or would you suggest a new antenna? I’m not sure what to use. I suppose I could solder one together too? Suggestions on that? I don’t have a good place to put it other than hanging it out a second story window.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Edit: Also, before I make an Amazon order would you suggest buying anything else? I added the amp into my cart. I have a diplexer laying around that I can use. Really the only thing I think I need is a better antenna.

I’d suggest a DC block or two? Also on Amazon.

cheers–

bob k6rtm

(and don’t feel bad – I’ve done worse, setting up a sequencer incorrectly, and putting 50 watts of RF into the output of a very low noise amplifier. PFFFT!)