Passenger lands plane after pilot dies

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/04/passenger-lands-plane-after-pilot-dies.html

Passenger was licensed for single-engine planes. Apparently was a King Air.

N559DW-more details here…plane is blocked:

news-press.com/article/20090413/ … GECAROUSEL

Nice. I sure hope the media doesn’t start griping about medical and age issues with this. Just how bad can our industry get. :frowning:

Wow, can’t imagine had it been a non pilot in the right seat… As it turned out a SEL pilot sure was better then nothing.

Hmm, I didn’t see anything referencing age of pilot???

Just that he was passed out or heart attack?

I am not an M.D. ,but I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the pilot was an older gentleman.

Pretty thin limb there… Lots of people suffer heart attacks in their 40s and 50s.

Sorry, I didn’t realize you knew “lots” of pilots that have died in there 40’s and 50’s while flying. Would you care to share those stories here? I would be very interested in those articles. Stories like these are very interesting.

Needlenose did say lots of people, not lots of pilots.

Without any facts at hand on the age of the pilot, it would be irresponsible to even conjecture the medical or age of the pilot.

I personally know a lot of King Air pilots in their 30’s and 40’s working for ME time for time toward working the airlines More in count then the older age group.

Could have easily happened to them.

Here are three for starters:

ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=DFW08FA170&rpt=fi

The autopsy report noted that the pilot had severe narrowing of a major coronary artery and evidence of a clot formed at the site of that narrowing.
The report further stated that “it is possible that the decedent experienced acute cardiac symptoms (such as a heart attack) shortly
after take off.”

ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=LAX06FA043&rpt=fi

The autopsy report on the 51-year-old
airline transport pilot was consistent with a condition known as left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), a substantially thickened main heart
chamber. It also noted moderate to severe coronary artery disease with evidence of at least one prior small heart attack. The
combination of coronary artery disease and LVH would have substantially increased the risk for sudden cardiac death in this pilot. There
was no evidence that the pilot was aware of his heart disease. The behavior of the aircraft cannot be explained by any reasonable
scenario in which the 11,500-hour pilot was deliberately controlling the aircraft. Therefore, it seems likely that the pilot was unable
to control the aircraft, an inability that can reasonably be explained by an incapacitating cardiac event.

ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=DFW05FA192&rpt=fi

The Medical Examiners report lists the pilots manner
of death as natural. Additionally, the report states that the pilot died as a result of cardiac arrhythmia due to a dilated
cardiomyopathy; however, the timing of the cardiac event could not be conclusively determined.

You need more???

Pilot? :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome you found three! How many certificated pilots are there in the U.S.?

I know a guy, who knows a guy who looked at an airplane and he is 30. So what does that have to do with the price of tea in China??

By the way. The guy died of a fucking heart attack. Why would is be irresponsible to “even conjecture” about his medical condition??

Lastly is doesn’t matter if he said lots of people not lots of pilots. The guy who dies was a pilot. Comprende?

Nothing.

If you don’t understand what I posted, you most certainly probably won’t understand…

What makes you think the media will gripe about age and medical on criteria that wasn’t even disclosed to the public on the two sources provided?

You made a blanket statement on an incident without any facts to support what you said. Doesn’t matter what the “laws of probability are” that you want to imply.

Let me guess, you attended the autopsy to know this? :unamused:

Well, since you are quite the journalist I will explain it to you. Everytime there is an incident, the media takes the issue and runs with it and scares the bejesus out of the people that ride in the back. Since the guy had a heart attack, then his medical history will be in question and I am surmising that his age is a factor which needlenose clearly pointed out is probably in his mid-40’s on up. Just because your lack of knowledge lends you to think that there will be no media frenzy over this doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

No, I can read. Thanks

I have to wonder… You don’t even know the gender of the pilot that passed out / died per the two posted articles… Do you?

This is so funny. Like a little kid you are trying to read through the article as fast as you can so you can say gotcha. What a fucking tard.

I will correct my statement. The PILOT died of a fucking heart attack. Now do you feel better Mr. Beechnut driver

Please show me where it reads he died of a heart attack.

Two strikes anyone?