King Air Down at GSP

According to the article, the plane crashed shortly before touchdown and all four passengers are alive. Hope all turns out as well as possible.

King Air B200 N337MT

greenvilleonline.com/article … 1/91109002

EDIT: a link to the upstate NBC affiliate, with a couple of pics of the plane. It looks to be intact and relatively undamaged.

wyff4.com/news/21560357/detail.html#

Looks good for an aircraft accident…

yeah, I thought so too, considering it bounced across a highway and up an embankment prior to coming to a stop. My girlfriend’s family lives in that area - like 1 mile away - and I’ve travelled that area of Hwy 14 many, many times. I found a video taken from a news helicopter of rescue personnel with the plane and it has a little more damage than I first thought. Overall though, still not nearly as bad as it could have been. Is it just me, or has there been a string of king air crashes lately?

www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/art … port/29406

Oh yeah. But it sill could have flipped and went into a ton of pieces and killed some people. :unamused: There has been alot of King Air crashes lately…

Hmmmmmm… landed short of the runway and no post-crash fire… :confused:

Yeah, I know. Being a maintenance flight to diagnose a problem, it could’ve been a variety of causes. I just had to say it. If I didn’t, someone else would’ve.

The aircraft landed intact.

http://www.wyff4.com/2009/1109/21561257_400X300.jpg

Why would there be a fire? Stop speculatating and congradulate the pilot.

I’ve looked at the picture gallery on greenvilleonline.com a few times now. It appears that the prop from the left engine shows rotational warping, while the right looks to be in fairly good shape (all things considering). Way too early to start the opinions, but I’d start looking at that right engine… And agreed - congrats to the pilot for keeping the damage to a minimum. I read that he was airlifted from the scene and was by far the worst injured - hope for a quick and full recovery.

Wasn’t speculating - just a shot at humor. It is something that is said here about all such crashes…

I hardly think that congratulations are in order. I do wish him and the others a full and speedy recovery though.

Intact!! Thats a Beech for ya!!! :smiley:

AMEN to that brother.
Danny

There are a lot of King Airs! :stuck_out_tongue:

there are also alot of 737’s… Anyway, I know you were just making a joke. But that is true, there are alot of King Airs.

The pilot is a very knowledgeable and safe guy. He is by-the-book and known around our home airport as such. I am crossing fingers about the fuel issue because it wouldn’t be like him. Regardless, he and the mechanics are in my prayers.

Sure is looking like they ran out of fuel, they will release those details shortly.

This picture probably shows them defueling the aircraft.

Here’s the preliminary report from the FAA:

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 337MT Make/Model: BE20 Description: 200, 1300 Super King Air, Commuter (C-12
Date: 11/09/2009 Time: 1509

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Serious Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT DURING APPROACH, CRASHED SHORT OF THE RUNWAY OFF A HIGHWAY,
GREER, SC

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 1 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 2 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: VFR

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Approach Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: COLUMBIA, SC (SO13) Entry date: 11/10/2009

Greenville, S.C. further info released today N0V 10/09

Investigators with the NTSB talked to a witness at a manufacturing plant about 2-3 miles from the crash site, who noticed the right engine was feathered.

Investigators also determined the plane had a half gallon of fuel on board when it crashed. The King Air went down at the end of the SW runway near Highway 14 around 10:10 Monday.

Airport spokesperson Rosylin Weston said the King Air hit a guard rail on Highway 14, skipped over the highway, hit the opposite guardrail and landed on the grass.

Pilot is currently listed as in ‘Serious’ , and technicians listed as ‘fair’, and ‘good condition’.

NTSB has also moved the aircraft to Georgia for further investigation.

Damn shame. One has to wonder what caused the pilot to depart from his normal pre-flight regimen that allowed him to overlook his fuel state.

Did he accept someone else’s word for the quantity of fuel on board?

Hope the pilot recovers and doesn’t pay the ultimate price for putting his faith in others.

He was reffering to the obvious fact garnered from the photo that the number 2 prop was feathered and not spinning when it hit the turf. Guess autofeather did it’s job…

Oh, and I’ll eat my words… it ran out of fuel Deef! Good luck to the pilot and everyone else involved. :confused:

1/2 gallon of JetA will run two PT-6A’s for about 16 seconds.

The pax are referred to as technicians, so what type of flight was this?

According to the news article linked at the top of the page, the King Air was on a “brief maintenance flight” when the incident occurred. Judging by the way the aircraft appears in the images, could it theoretically be repaired and returned to service? I know of several aircraft, including a Skymaster, that made full gear up landings and were fairly speedily rebuilt.