I have 2 alerts setup that are identical except for the tail number. One works fine, for the other, nothing is delivered. I have checked my email server logs, nothing is coming in, checked the notifications and the 1 working alert shows up, but nothing for the second one. I have confirmed the tail number and can see that FlightAware does track it.
Both your alerts specify both tail # and equipment. This works OK for N125AZ, where we appear to generally get an aircraft type, but we don’t have associated type for N9323Z flights. So while we do track the aircraft regularly, none of the flights meet your B17 equipment parameter. I’d suggest removing the equipment restriction.
Thanks for catching that. I made the change