Odroid N2 & Airspy - Now running!

Any ideas how to update to 3.7.1 on the N2 ?
I followed @abcd567 previous recs at:
https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver/issues/471 and changed the version to 3.7.1. That did not seem to do much for the adsb-receiver. Apparently even the compiling was done on version 3.6.3. Do I have to download and compile separately outside of the adsb-receiver install script?

Should I use: https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/dump978-add-on-installation-procedures/49377/17 ?

You can clone the dump1090-fa and piaware_builder repositories from github:

GitHub - flightaware/piaware_builder: Debian package builder for piaware
GitHub - flightaware/dump1090: Dump1090 is a simple Mode S decoder for RTLSDR devices

First check out 3.7.1: (the main branch isnā€™t on 3.7.1 yet.)
git checkout v3.7.1

Then follow the build process outlined in the readme.
(Which is different for both projects)
You shouldnā€™t need dump978 unless you have a 2nd antenna and dongle :wink:

I actually do have a second antenna and dongle for 978. Currently they run on an a separate Pi. Would like to consolidate to 1. It is using the regular orange FA dongle. The Airspy is running for the 1090. So, I would need to ensure that the Airspy picks up the right antenna.

1 Like

Not really.

dump978 wonā€™t touch the airspy if ā€œrtlsdrā€ is defined as a driver.
airspy_adsb wonā€™t touch rtl-sdr devices.

So no need for serial numbers.

But yeah youā€™ll have to build dump978-fa as well.
(Unless you just install it which should be possible now that you have armhf enabled as an architecture on your arm64 device)

just as a regular armhf package? I suppose that works. Will try the compiling first. If that fails I can do the armhf version. Though the package install would simplify future updatesā€¦ tempting. May have to change my mind :slight_smile:

This describes the compile process probably in more detail than the github readme.
But itā€™s the same process so yes you can use it as a guideline.

Whatā€™s the trick with installing piaware on the Odroid N2 with Armbian Stretch image from Odroid N2 / N2+ ā€“ Armbian ?

Iā€™ve got that Armbian image installed.

I did:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

I then went to try and install piaware from PiAware - dump1090 ADS-B integration with FlightAware - FlightAware. In Step #2 when I did ā€œsudo apt-get updateā€ it said:

N: Skipping acquire of configured file ā€˜piaware/binary-arm64/Packagesā€™ as repository ā€˜http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages stretch InReleaseā€™ doesnā€™t support architecture ā€˜arm64ā€™

From what Iā€™ve read above, you have installed piaware on that Armbian image.

Any ideas?

Mike

1 Like

Ignore that warning.

Thatā€™s fine you donā€™t want the piaware arm64 packages, you want the armhf package.
That should be available.

Ok. I ignored that warning.

apt-get install piaware
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
piaware:armhf : Depends: tcllib:armhf but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

These are apparently the repositories it is set to look for packages in:

Hit:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:2 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages stretch InRelease
Ign:4 Index of /debian stretch InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /debian stretch-updates InRelease
Hit:6 Index of /debian stretch-backports InRelease
Hit:7 Index of /debian stretch Release
Hit:3 https://apt.armbian.com stretch InRelease

Mike

Just googled the problem, seems the dependencies are somewhat off.
Odroid C2 and tcllib:armhf - Amlogic meson - Armbian Community Forums

Easiest fix will be to just build piaware from source.
GitHub - flightaware/piaware_builder: Debian package builder for piaware

Thank you. I just finished up doing that. Went fine. Although I did it the long way (the way I reall didnā€™t prefer to - using the adsbreceiver.net script) . Itā€™s working, Airspy and all. But iā€™ll likely re-image tomrorow and just install things more manually (not use the adsbreceiver.net script). I wasnā€™t aware of piaware_builder until I saw a reference to it when running the other script.

Thanks for your efforts. Everything went very smoothly after having followed your directions.

Mike

INSTALL PIAWARE ver 3.7.1

sudo apt install -y git devscripts build-essential debhelper  
sudo apt install -y tcl8.6-dev autoconf python3-dev python3-venv  
sudo apt install -y virtualenv dh-systemd zlib1g-dev tclx8.4  
sudo apt install -y tcllib tcl-tls itcl3 net-tools 
sudo apt install -y libboost-system-dev libboost-program-options-dev 
sudo apt install -y libboost-regex-dev libboost-filesystem-dev
git clone https://github.com/flightaware/piaware_builder.git  
cd  piaware_builder  

git checkout v3.7.1 

#Note: checking out 'v3.7.1'.
#........
#HEAD is now at 908fdef... Release v3.7.1

CODENAME=(`lsb_release -sc`)  
echo ${CODENAME}  
# above command outputs distro's codename 
#("bionic" in this case)
# if it outputs blank, then in next two lines  
# replace ${CODENAME}  by bionic

./sensible-build.sh ${CODENAME}  

cd  package-${CODENAME}  
sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b  

cd ../
sudo dpkg -i piaware_3.7.1_*.deb   

Configure Piaware
(use actual feeder-id in place of xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx )

sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 
sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes 
sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes 

sudo systemctl restart piaware  

Thank you so much for providing this!

Mike

@mtindor
Just using CODENAME=stretch probably provides best results in most cases.
The builds for ubuntu versions arenā€™t really maintained and ubuntu should be 99% compatible with debian stretch.

I was building on Armbian. It detected stretch properly. Only thing different from what abcd4567 showed as that after build, the deb that i needed to install was piaware_3.7.1_arm64.deb rather than piaware_3.7.1_armhf.deb, since the created package was piaware_3.7.1_arm64.deb.

I havenā€™t yet switched it over to use the Airspy instead of a dongle yet; havenā€™t rebooted; am updating piaware-config on the Odroid to match values from my RPI3 (except for feeder ID). Iā€™m going to test this install using the previous feeder ID that was created yesterday, and using no-amp and a 770 mhz yagi lol.

Mike

Should I be setting image_type (to piaware) and manage-config (to yes) ? The RPI3 Iā€™m trying to mimick is running the piaware 3.7.1 SD image, where as I installed piaware as an addon on the Odroid. So Iā€™m not sure if I should set these values to mimick what is on the RPI3 or not.

Mike

Donā€™t. Much more flexible to use the dump1090-fa config file options.
Which you canā€™t with managed config.

Also will probably miss helper packages and will destroy your network configuration.

And getting airspy_adsb and dump1090-fa to talk to each other is simple with my script.

Before you use the configuration script for airspy, install some software:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install libc6:armhf libstdc++6:armhf libusb-1.0-0:armhf
sudo ldconfig

Then just run the airspy-conf script and plug in the airspy: GitHub - wiedehopf/airspy-conf: Configure airspy_adsb for use with readsb or piaware.

Or you can do the airspy configuration manually as well: Manual airspy configuration to work with dump1090 fa and piaware Ā· wiedehopf/airspy-conf Wiki Ā· GitHub

Thank you. Iā€™ve already done the AIrspy install part (did it manually, via your great instructions, since I didnā€™t have piaware installed at that point). So I obviously didnā€™t finish up the manual configuration. Iā€™ll either finish up the manual or run your automatic. Weā€™ll see.

Mike

@wiedehopf

Can you explain to me why the receiver-type and receiver-port are different depending upon whether Iā€™m using the SD image or the add-on via piaware-builder ?

My current RPI3 with the piaware SD-image is running an AIrspy and receiver-type - relay and receiver-port = 29999. But your instructions suggest that on my Odroid (not an SD-image) I should be setting them differently.

FYI - I have a weird way of doing things on the RPI3 which Iā€™ll be duplicating. On the RPI3 I have the mlat-results being sent additionally to my VRS box at DigitalOcean. And then I have modesmixer listening on my RPI3, connecting to 30005 (beast-splitter) to get the ADSB, and then modesmixer is making outbound connections to (a) my remote VRS and (b) ADSBExchange.

So, as you can guess, the ports in use for various things is getting quite confusing. Adding to that confusion is that I set up three additional listening receivers in VRS for the ODROID traffic so that itā€™s separate from the RPI3 traffic for now. (Thatā€™s only temporary, as at some point Iā€™ll be repurposing the RPI3 for 978 UAT.

PS: Actually I think Iā€™m pretty confused. Your manual instructions for the Airspy say to do things one way for an SD-image, and another way if one installed piware/dump1090-fa via apt-get. Since I used piaware-builder, is the configuration the same as if I had installed via apt-get ? Or do I use the instructions for sd-image ? Iā€™m unclear as to whether piaware-builder and ā€˜via apt-getā€™ are the same thing as far as your instructions go.

Mike

relay doesnā€™t work on package installs (PiAware - Advanced Configuration Settings - FlightAware)

The piaware builder builds the debian piaware package (which you can normally get via apt-get).
The sd-card is created in a completely different process. (using the debian package but still)

So you are an package install (dpkg -i install packages after all :wink: )

With the package setup port 30005 will be served by dump1090-fa, beast-splitter is not used.
dump1090-fa gets its beast data pushed into port 30004 by airspy_adsb.

Thatā€™s at least how the script does it. Not quite sure about the manual instructions.
Been some time since i dug through that, no one is complaining so far but most use the script.