Obama at KTEB?

I just found the following listed as a “Presidential TFR” covering Teterboro airport, TEB, just across the Hudson from New York. I’m puzzled by two things.

1. Why is Obama flying into TEB? I would expect him to use EWR or JFK, so he could bring the big plane (VC-25A, the modified 747 commonly referred to as Air Force One). If he is flying into TEB, what aircraft is he using? AFAIK, the gulfstreams are the only Air Force VIP aircraft that can operate there. Perhaps it’s another date night with Michelle?

2. The TFR was listed twice, once under ZNY, (where it belongs), and once under ZBW (boston center). Come again?

OCTOBER 6, 2010 LOCAL. PURSUANT TO 49
USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES
THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS ‘NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE’.
PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE
INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY
PERSONNEL. ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL ACTIONS MAY ALSO BE
TAKEN AGAINST A PILOT WHO DOES NOT COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OR
ANY SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS OR PROCEDURES ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTAM:
A) THE FAA MAY TAKE ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION, INCLUDING IMPOSING CIVIL
PENALTIES AND THE SUSPENSION OR REVOCATION OF AIRMEN CERTIFICATES;
OR
B) THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT MAY PURSUE CRIMINAL CHARGES,
INCLUDING CHARGES UNDER TITLE 49 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE,
SECTION 46307; OR
C) THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT MAY USE DEADLY FORCE AGAINST THE
AIRBORNE AIRCRAFT, IF IT IS DETERMINED THAT THE AIRCRAFT POSES AN
IMMINENT SECURITY THREAT.
PURSUANT TO TITLE 14, SECTION 91.141 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL
REGULATIONS, AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED
WITHIN A 30 NMR OF 404121N/0741022W OR THE TEB219010.8 UP TO BUT
END PART 1 OF 5. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 04 OCT 15:55 2010
(Map it)

FDC 0/9203 - PART 2 OF 5 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS CRESSKILL, NEW JERSEY
NOT INCLUDING 18000 FT MSL
EFFECTIVE 1010062045 UTC (1645 LOCAL 10/06/10) UNTIL 1010062200 UTC
(1800 LOCAL 10/06/10).
WITHIN A 10 NMR OF 404121N/0741022W OR THE TEB219010.8 UP TO BUT
EFFECTIVE 1010062045 UTC (1645 LOCAL 10/06/10) UNTIL 1010062200 UTC
(1800 LOCAL 10/06/10).
WITHIN A 30 NMR OF 405343N/0735807W OR THE TEB068005.1 UP TO BUT
EFFECTIVE 1010062100 UTC (1700 LOCAL 10/06/10) UNTIL 1010070015 UTC
(2015 LOCAL 10/06/10).
WITHIN A 10 NMR OF 405343N/0735807W OR THE TEB068005.1 UP TO BUT
EFFECTIVE 1010062100 UTC (1700 LOCAL 10/06/10) UNTIL 1010070015 UTC
(2015 LOCAL 10/06/10).
WITHIN A 30 NMR OF 404121N/0741022W OR THE TEB219010.8 UP TO BUT
EFFECTIVE 1010062330 UTC (1930 LOCAL 10/06/10) UNTIL 1010070030 UTC
(2030 LOCAL 10/06/10).
END PART 2 OF 5. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 04 OCT 15:55 2010
(Map it)

FDC 0/9203 - PART 3 OF 5 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS CRESSKILL, NEW JERSEY
WITHIN A 10 NMR OF 404121N/0741022W OR THE TEB219010.8 UP TO BUT
EFFECTIVE 1010062330 UTC (1930 LOCAL 10/06/10) UNTIL 1010070030 UTC
(2030 LOCAL 10/06/10).
EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW AND/OR UNLESS AUTHORIZED
BY ATC IN CONSULTATION WITH THE AIR TRAFFIC
SECURITY COORDINATOR VIA THE DOMESTIC EVENTS
NETWORK (DEN):
A. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS WITHIN THE 10 NMR
AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE INNER CORE(S),
ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR: APPROVED LAW
ENFORCEMENT, MILITARY AIRCRAFT DIRECTLY SUPPORTING
THE UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE (USSS) AND THE
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES,
APPROVED AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHTS, AND REGULARLY
SCHEDULED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND ALL-CARGO
CARRIERS OPERATING UNDER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
TSA-APPROVED STANDARD SECURITY
PROGRAMS/PROCEDURES: AIRCRAFT OPERATOR STANDARD
END PART 3 OF 5. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 04 OCT 15:55 2010
(Map it)

FDC 0/9203 - PART 4 OF 5 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS CRESSKILL, NEW JERSEY
SECURITY PROGRAM (AOSSP), FULL ALL-CARGO AIRCRAFT
OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (FACAOSSP),
MODEL SECURITY PROGRAM (MSP), TWELVE FIVE STANDARD
SECURITY PROGRAM (TFSSP) ALL CARGO, OR ALL-CARGO
INTERNATIONAL SECURITY PROCEDURE (ACISP) AND ARE
ARRIVING INTO AND/OR DEPARTING FROM 14 CFR PART
139 AIRPORTS. ALL EMERGENCY/LIFE SAVING FLIGHT
(MEDICAL/LAW ENFORCEMENT/FIREFIGHTING) OPERATIONS
MUST COORDINATE WITH ATC PRIOR TO THEIR DEPARTURE
AT 516-683-2966 TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS.
B. FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN THE
10 NMR AND 30 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS
THE OUTER RING(S): ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN
THE OUTER RING(S) LISTED ABOVE ARE LIMITED TO
AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS,
AND WORKLOAD PERMITTING, ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT
OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER. ALL AIRCRAFT
MUST BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A
DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
(ATC) FACILITY. AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING THE
END PART 4 OF 5. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 04 OCT 15:55 2010
(Map it)

FDC 0/9203 - PART 5 OF 5 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS CRESSKILL, NEW JERSEY
DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES
WHILE IN THE TFR AND MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO
COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC.
C. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED
WITHIN THIS TFR: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE
INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER
OPERATIONS, SEAPLANE OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE
OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON
OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL
POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER
TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS,
MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, MODEL AIRCRAFT
OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, AND UNMANNED AIRCRAFT
SYSTEMS (UAS).
D. FAA RECOMMENDS THAT ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATORS
CHECK NOTAMS FREQUENTLY FOR POSSIBLE CHANGES TO
THIS TFR PRIOR TO OPERATIONS WITHIN THIS REGION.
END PART 5 OF 5. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 04 OCT 15:55 2010
(Map it)

flying to EWR or JFK causes too much disruption.

TEB has a 7000 ft. runway - the VC25 is really a hotrod (it’s fairly light and probably has uprated engines and doesn’t have to follow any noise abatement procedures) and could easily operate from that. I saw it take off from MSP one time in what looked like less than 4000 ft.

Looks to me like they are giving a radial/distance from TEB. The TFR is not centered on the airport.

Runway length shouldn’t be a problem…

However, I don’t know if the runway is reinforced enough to handle it. Looking at the runway, it can support single wheel or double wheeled aircraft, but nothing about double-tandem, which the VC25 would be. Single wheel capacity on 1/19 is 50.0, while double-wheel capacity is 100.0. So I don’t think it is the POTUS going to KTEB.

Looking further at the TFR, it does indicate a 30nm radius from the TEB219010.8, which would also include KEWR. So the POTUS could fly into there, while whatever event is going on would be in/near/around that fix off of TEB.

BL.

BL.

That’s a good point, I hadn’t noticed that. More puzzling is that it looks like one of the circles is centered on EWR. Why wouldn’t they just say so?

I found a translated and much easier-to-read version of the TFR at http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_9203.html but I assume it won’t stay there forever.

The last time he went to New York for a date night, he flew to JFK with three Gulfstreams, and was supported by five helicopters and a C-17 transporting his limo.

Any ideas what this is about?

The armored limo’s have traveled with Presidents for quite a while, I don’t know the specifics though.

TEB was probably use since there is no VOR at Newark. They always give a latitude and longitude as well as a radial/distance from a nearby navaid.

Teb has 100,000 lb restriction…hence no bbjs and the g650 being designed within alb (roughly)

Think there is a dem fundraiser nearby in next 24hrs. Perhapsnthat is where he is landing on Marine One?

Found it!

Apparently there are actually two separate TFRs, one centered at EWR (but the reference point is the TEB VOR), and one centered around 10 miles NE of TEB, which presumably is the private home where he’s giving the fundraiser. Looks like he could either be taking a 'copter from EWR-TEB and limo from TEB (it’s certainly on the way), or just a motorcade all the way from EWR.

In reference to my earlier post about the limo and the C-17, I was not intending to be critical of the size of the president’s entourage, but merely emphasizing the fact that when the president travels, regardless of the reason, it is a major military operation, with a lot of planning and preparation.

The last time he went to New York for a date night, he flew to JFK with three Gulfstreamsand was supported by five helicopters and a C-17 transporting his limo.

Any ideas what this is about?

From what I understand, there are official vehicles to include limos pre-positioned in certain major cities. Usually a C-5A accompanies the President, carrying the Secret Service vehicles and the ‘war wagon’.

Not sure about this specific TFR, but a typical New York trip will see Air Force One at JFK or EWR because they have plenty of space and equipment to support the 747. Also, not much GA traffic to deal with for the security side of things.
At these airports, almost all of the traffic is part 121 passenger or freight so, because these operations are already on a security program, the disruption is relatively minor. Things just keep flowing as usual right up until AF1 is ready to arrive or depart. Usually not more than 15 or 20 minutes that the airspace is “shut down”.
Last two trips to NYC saw the airplane at JFK with the President helicoptering out to the event site.

There have been a couple of shows on the History Channel that show some of the entourage that travel with the POTUS. Pretty crazy. Not just limos but they’ll bring helicopters too.

One of the ones I saw was GWB going to NYC. I think he landed at JFK then took a helicopters to one of the heliports in Manhattan. It was pretty impressive to see all of the coordination and planning that goes in to a simple trip to NYC. Never mind something like flying to Iraq or Afghanistan.

I saw a show on when Bush went to Africa for a tour…took a whole handful of C-17’s with them! If I remember correctly, there were even a couple C-17’s that had fuel trucks on board because the fuel supply at the airport couldn’t be trusted. :open_mouth:
Air Power! :smiley:

Yup. I saw that too. I think the fuel came from bases in the region though, not necessarily ferried from the US.

I also recall them showing the secret service guarding the fuel all night.

I think that was the same one where they talked about the mission where they flew W to Iraq during more intense parts of the war for Thanksgiving (in 2003). I guess they filed a flight plan as a G5 or something like that to keep it as quiet as possible. It was also an interesting part of the story when the backup VC-25 landed somewhere (I forgot where). “Hey, that’s Air Force One!”

Sorry to post so late. i just came across this thread and have the information. he flew into Newark on the Vc then choppered with marine 1 and a fleet of 4 others to Cresskill NJ which is roughly about 7 miles North northeast of teb. he stayed for about 1 hour. The cost for entry for the dinner was 30,000 Us dollars. Must have been some very expensive food. The interesting thing was 2 days before the helo crews were doing a familiarization run. IOt was IFr over my home when i saw something emerge from the clouds in a fleet of 5. thought we were under attack until i saw the side of the ships. My kids were thrilled.
The choppers appeared to have flown up to cresskill from newark via the Hudson river Corridor but on the flight back to EWR TEB cleared them direct.