New to ADS-B, but seems to be working great

I got the PiAware on the Raspberry Pi and so far all is working out well, I have my antenna outside mounted (but I would like to get it higher). I am currently receiving good signals from up to about 200 miles away and seems to be updating well. I have installed the recommended antenna from Amazon. I have also ordered but has not come in is a PreAmp and see if it gives me a little more range. I have the little computer hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I do have a couple of questions:

1.) How do I monitor the local data from the ADS-B Receiver?

2.) How often should I check for updates?

3.) How reliable are these units? Should we reboot these units Daily/Weekly/Monthly?

So far I have not had any issues and has been running bullet proof from the time of installation. Thanks in advance for any advice, or looking for anything that I may have over looked.

Sparkie

One other question that I forgot to ask.

I know that you can view from a connected computer on my land, is there anyway I can configure my router to be able to allow me to view it from remote. I do have permanent IP’s at my location.

Thanks Again
Sparkie

Hi Sparkie624,
If you are running the stock FA dump1090, then you can track your local data at :8080

If you are running dump1090-mutability published by OBJ on the boards and FA in general then you can check it at
/dump1090.

There are threads that talk about how to access your data and the risks involved in the ADS-B Flight Tracking board.
There is a lot of stuff in there.
Welcome aboard
joel

1.) How do I monitor the local data from the ADS-B Receiver?
If you just want to “dump” the message to a file, you can use
sudo wget -O - -q myreceiver:30003 > log.txt .csv
Or try to download “Virtual Radar Server” (Windows Software) and configure it to use your receiver.
For a quick check I open “My ADS-B” on flightaware and then choose “log” below the control panel. This gives me a quick
idea how many messages are received every 5 minutes.

3.) How reliable are these units? Should we reboot these units Daily/Weekly/Monthly?
This should not be a problem… I do make a reeoot every night, but actually I have no good reason to do so.

Do you have a link for this software?

The simplest and easiest way is to use Joe’s Scripts to install Dump1090-mut, other feeders and some nice graphs.

ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-receiver-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html

Project Website: adsbreceiver.net
Repository: github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver

Thanks… Will try to see what I can do with it.

Port forward port 8080 in your modem router.

Then you have remote access by entering your permanent IP address followed by:8080 (xx.xx.xx.xx:8080) from your remote browser