Need help with remote setup.

Okay here’s what I’m trying to do. I have a friend that owns a home at a very high elevation. He has agreed to let me install a FlightAware setup at his house. I would like to feed the data from the remote location to FlightAware as well as a remote plane plotter set up at my residence.

Number 1, am I able to forward the data remotely to my plane plotter setup at my home?

Number 2, I will only be using Raspberry Pi so there is no computer involved at the remote location. My concern is power failures at the remote location due to it’s rural location. I don’t want him to have to get involved with my setup so as to inconvenience him (restarting etc) so if the Raspberry Pi is restarted after power failure, can it automatically run scripts to restart the ADS-B program and feed to my plane plotter software at home?

Thanks for any assistance.

1. Mine restarts ok after a power failure. I have also added a script to monitor the WiFi link and restart it if it got down. That might be useful for you to do too. Just check that wlan0 has an IP address, and if it doesn’t, use ifdown/ifup to reset it. Sleep for 60 seconds or whatever you think best.

2. I don’t use plane plotter, but one site or the other will need a dynamic host name so you can find it if the External IP address changes. If you put the address of the Pi into plane plotter, then the pi needs a host name. If you put the address of the plane plotter machine into the Pi, then the machine at your home needs a host name. Whichever machine has the dynamic host name also has to have the proper ports(s) forwarded to it on the router so you can get to it.

Others may have better ides for you too.

I put a power bank between the mains supply and the pi so it will continue to operate in the event of a power outage. In the Planeplotter application put the pi host name and appropriate port number and remember to use the remote location coordinates in Home Location.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Can you post the specific unit you use? Some won’t output power when plugged into mains.

Well, I can currently do this with two Planeplotter software programs running. I have an additional remote ADS-B in the San Francisco Bay area and I can feed that data to my home computer in the California central valley.

So I guess a better question is, if I know the IP address of the computer I want to send the data to, can PiAware send out that data without a computer at the host location?

Yes, absolutely. The Pi is a small Linux computer, so you will indeed have a computer at the remote site. :slight_smile: Hopefully someone with Plane Plotter experience can chime in on the best approach. I’m sorry that I can’t help you with those specifics.

A couple of thoughts though… You can set the Pi MLAT process to send results to any host name or IP address/port. You can also use the nc command to forward data from any local port to a remote address/port. …hope that helps.