N400GG Cessna CJ3 taxiing accident - No Brakes . . .

Date: March 08, 2008 Stuart, FL

Aircraft Type: Cessna 525B N400GG

Narrative: The first officer had updated the Jepson Database and in the process had pulled the brake circuit breaker to keep the brake hydraulic motor from continuously cycling. This circuit breaker was missed when the airplane was restored to normal operating condition. Clearance was received and the pilot in command began taxiing.

The first officer started to program the flight management system. There was a strong gusty wind from the left. They had to make a 90-degee right turn to join the taxiway. The pilot in command made some comment about the brakes. The first officer looked up and they were headed toward and struck a parked unoccupied airplane on the opposite side of the taxiway.

Death/Injury: No injuries

Remarks: According to both crew members with the direction of the wind, nose steering alone was not enough to turn the airplane onto the taxiway. Brakes were needed but there were no brakes, and emergency brakes were not used.

Why didn’t they just hit the reversers? :stuck_out_tongue:

When are people going to stop pulling that breaker!!! Our guys do that all the time, just let the damn thing cycle, you don’t pull that breaker when your sitting in TEB for 4 hours in the run up block!!!

As for the TR’s, I think the older CJ had paddles which probably would not do much to completely stop a moving airplane, but if it’s a newer model, they do not put paddles on anymore, they say the weight savings outweighs the field length performance. I’m not 100% sure about the CJ3, but I’m pretty sure that’s the way it is on CJ1 and 2.

Leardrvr, don’t you guys specifically teach to NEVER pull the Power Brake CB?

N400GG = Aircraft is a brand new CJ-3 just delivered in December 07.

Yes, in fact at NJA in the XL they had a similar accident (hit a fuel truck). They had Cessna come up with a service bulletin that makes the master caution come on and NOT be cancelable [sic] when the a/c is on the ground and there is no power to the brakes. So before engine start you should catch it.

It’s the mx people who pull this breaker most of the time; but still we have checklist for a reason.

“Our guys”?..Are you a CJ operator? Are you a technician? Just curious to your background and experience in the subject?

As for the pulling of the breaker…agreed, there is no reason for the flight crew to pull it, removing power from the system. The cycling of the electric pump is a normal function. If it’s merely from annoyance…suck it up!

They’re called Thrust Attenuators…and they provide zero braking (thrust reverse) capability. They provide no tangable benefit in reducing accelerate/stop, and landing field lengths. Their purpose is to eliminate residual thrust at engine idle which aided in controlling taxi speed. They were not installed on the CJ “+” and 3 series airplanes as these airplanes were introduced with FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) equipped Williams engines. The FADEC more finely controls the engine and allowed for a significant reduction in idle speeds and conversely idle thrust. The “+” and 3 airplanes benefited in their elimination with reduced maintenance complexity/cost and weight reduction.

Not a CJ operator, but we operate the II V and XL, and by our guys, I mean the pilots who do the database updates (of which I am one). All three of those share a Power Brake CB so I assumed the CJ incorporated that as well.
We are a soon to be CJ operator, and I’m looking forward to flying it.

Attenuators was the word I was looking for, a cookie for you as i could not remember the phraseology!

Does the the CJ3 have an emergency braking system? I assume so at least, perhaps they didnt have time to grab it. We are taught as mechanics to tap the brakes when starting to taxi just to verify they are working. Silly pilots pulling breakers lol

Brake check is a pretty standard checklist item. The Cessna’s I fly have two brake checks on the checklist before taxi.