N345JB Crashed 0811hrs yesterday KAAO

N345JB landed in a pasture 11 minutes after take-off from AAO, all 3 passangers are fine.

The aircraft, owned by Rusty Eck Ford, was a C421C enroute to someplace in Ohio.

Cause under investigation. :cry:

Good job by the pilot.

kwch.com/global/video/flash/ … d=64757178

Just was flying in the area and took a couple of pics, they are about to haul the aircraft off it seems. That field is less than 5 miles from the runway, heard from another pilot that they had Jet-A in their tanks instead of AVGAS.

http://www.floriantrojer.com/gallery/bilder/crash.jpg

Aircraft was enroute to Omaha, NE

Nice foto INNflight!!! Do you have any wider photos of the area? Seemed like a lot of trees in the news video.

Interesting they would not discover the problem sooner… Fueling, pre-flight, start up, taxi, run up.

Got to assume it was mixed with 100LL and that’s why they kept running.

Notice the lack of tire tracks in the field. Frozen?

Frank Holbert
160knots.com

thats as bad as putting diesel in yoour gas powered car, OUCH :exclamation: :exclamation:

No it’s worse. You loose the option of pulling over and calling for a tow truck.

Frank Holbert
160knots.com

that is correct sir, maybe enough time to tell the tower where you are going to put it down, and where to send the crash truck :wink:

Let me weigh the options.

What do I want coming after me… CRASH truck or TOW truck?

Frank Holbert
160knots.com

5 miles from the field, and the engine quits, you are a pilot, which one is coming? I am not a pilot but if the engine quits, and the pilot cant get it lit up again, than I might want the fire truck to come and pput out the fire, if there happens to be one, I hope the plane makes it back to the ground in one piece.and by the way very nice website, just went there and its really informative even to a wanna be like me. thanks frank

Ok, I suppose since I no longer work at the FBO in question I can now tell you what happened if anyone wants to know?

Let’s hear it.

The line service employee who fueled the aircraft was asked to fuel it with 80 gallons of 100LL and through some incredible train of thought drove the Jet-A truck over to the 421 and put 80 gallons of kerosene. Now, the probable cause report by the FAA cites the fact that there are 2 Piper Malibu turbine conversions based at the airport. On these aircraft, it is possible to fuel these aircraft with the duckbill “hoover” nozzle without fully inserting it into the opening, which is how the employee in question mistook the 421 for the malibu and fueled it with the incorrect type of fuel.

As for my review of the incident, I could place a large amount of blame on the FBO and the supervisors/managers for not identifying the complete incompetence of this employee, but the reality is that it was an individual issue. Lets just say the FAA did not give this guy a piss test.

It should also be noted that I left my job at the FBO on good terms with everyone there.

It should also be noted that the pilot should’ve stuck around and waited till the truck was pulled up, I stand my my AC every time fuel is put in it.

I agree

What happened to the check list item - “Check Fuel”. Reading incident reports will make you kinda want to check that not only was the tank filled with the right stuff but also that it was indeed filled to the level as requested.

I agree here as well as with Flyboy. I rent a Warrior and Archer (the two aircraft this airport auth rents out) and there are three guys who work there. I know they are going to put the correct type fuel in, these guys fly the same aircraft, but I always will check the level, and I always double check the fuel caps.
I remember years ago when I was at the airlines, we had an EMB120 Brasilia, that had been fueled and left. About an hour later I was going out to work another flight, doing a casual FOD check, I see this big red metal thing. It was the cap that should’ve gone on the fueling port on the single point. I immediately went in, and looked at the flight info in the computer and to my relief he had already landing at ORD.

Another fuel related thing, especially since I rent wet, regardless of the fact that I usually only rent an hour at a time, if the fuel level is below the tabs (17 gal per tank on the Warrior/Archer), I have them top off the tanks. I know it’s not operationally pheasable in all situations, but it gives you the peace of mind that you didn’t have to guess the quantity.

How does one confuse a C421 and a Malibu? They don’t even have the same number of engines. Sounds like a serious lack of training on engine differences.