N333MY Eclipse 500 off runway after aborts takeoff . . .

Pilot and his young daughter, only persons on board,
were uninjured.

News Story and photos

FAA Preliminary Report

News story says the guy was taking off and aborted, FAA report says he was landing. Nice. Also, Notice the newspaper mention that one of the engines couldn’t be shut off. FADEC issues again?!? The Eclipse saga continues…

At first reading this sure is beginning to appear to be a repeat of the FADEC problems experienced at MDW last month that grounded the fleet.

It’s only a matter of time until we have more of these. These pilots are ill-trained (not to stereotype), and these planes are having some terrible problems.

I was reading an article that says with Raburn out, the 400 project is not a for sure.

http://flightaware.com/photos/view/photo/272106-ea0069b59bd365929354523ae2de16ce29f8a63e;tail=N333MY;o=0

I stumbled upon it’s FA foto last night.

Yes, they’re having terrible problems with the 500 but not due to anything to do with training.

Let’s not be too quick to blame new owners/operators here. None of them are stepping directly into the 500 from an LSA trainer and the 500, like all turbines, is actually an easier aircraft to fly than most propellor driven complex aircraft.

First, let me say that I make no assumption as to the skill or experience of the pilot involved. I agree that Eclipse has taken a VERY conservative track with their training and mentoring program. And while a turbine ENGINE is easier to operate than a piston, the aircraft and it’s systems can be considerably more difficult. Especially when things start to go wrong.

The reason I am worried is that planes like the Columbia’s (now Cessna’s) and Cirrus’s have had terrible crash records, mostly due to pilots with bigger wallets then sense. Put one in a plane going 150 knots faster and I see a potential problem. Now it doesn’t mean that all these are former Cirrus owners but many are upgrading from piston singles. But I guess it is just my 2 cents.

Professional pilot flying for homegrown fractional owners. Has several thousand hours, and multiple type ratings. Early to draw conclusions, but looks more like an a/c issue than an experience issue. Why would anyone want to operate a jet into or out of a 3000 foot strip. Yeah, books says ya can do it, but should ya really try it?

Very good point. Landing distance for the Eclipse 500 is 2250 feet. That’s probably a huge chore for even their best pilots to land the plane in 2300 feet.

when he apparently decided to abort takeoff and run the plane into the wooded area.

Damn idiot, can’t believe he decided to run the thing into the wooded area…

Media :unamused:

Brandywine (KOQN) is 3347’ long, not 2300’, more than adequate for the Eclipse. We’re only 3496’ long here at N14 and we have a CJ2 in and out of here all the time, no problems.

I was in Brandywine last weekend in my G58 Baron. Frankly, it sure didnt feel like a long runway. The center portion of the runway was pavement with the sides being grass. I land in a lot of short runways with my Citation Mustang but I would not take it in to Brandywine. For what its worth there were only single engine pistons on the field, no twin engines but my Baron and maybe a few turboprop singles but they do have the advantage of beta.

NTSB: no obvious malfunctions in Eclipse 500 crash

NTSB Identification: NYC08FA261
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, July 30, 2008 in West Chester, PA
Aircraft: Eclipse Aviation Corporation EA500, registration: N333MY
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On July 30, 2008, about 1830 eastern daylight time, an Eclipse Aviation Corporation EA500 business jet airplane, N333MY, sustained substantial damage during a runway overrun while landing at Brandywine Airport (OQN), West Chester, Pennsylvania. The certificated airline transport pilot, and the sole passenger were not injured. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight that departed Wings Field Airport (LOM), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. No flight plan was filed for the flight conducted under 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to the pilot’s written statement, He had the airplane “topped off” prior to departing for OQN.

During a visual approach for runway 27 at OQN, he “set up for a normal approach” and “dropped gear” and “one notch of flaps.” A short time later, when the airplane had slowed , he then selected landing flaps. He believed that he was “a little high” on the approach so he “dipped down.” As he passed the runway threshold his speed was “a little high,” but he thought it was manageable. After touchdown, he “got on the brakes” and felt the airplane skid, but decided not to “go around” due to the “distance left.” At this point he was “pumping” the wheel brakes “continuously,” and then applied “full brakes.” The airplane then began to skid to the right and went off the end of the runway.

After leaving the runway, the airplane traveled down a 40-foot embankment and crossed a service road. The airplane came to rest against trees and a chain link fence approximately 184 feet beyond the departure end of runway 27, along a magnetic heading of 265 degrees.

Examination of the airplane revealed multiple fractures and areas of crush and compression damage to both the airframe and flight control surfaces. The nose landing gear was separated from its attach point. Both main landing gear were collapsed, and they had penetrated the upper surface of the wing structure. The wing flaps and the flap lever were found in the landing position.

No preimpact mechanical failures of the flight control system, brake system, engine control systems, or engines were discovered.

Examination of runway 27 revealed that it was asphalt, and in good condition. The runway was 3,347 feet long by 50 feet wide. Skid marks which matched the landing gear geometry of the accident airplane began approximately 868 feet west of the displaced threshold, and continued for about 2,229 feet until they left the paved portion of the runway where ground scars were present and two broken runway threshold lights were discovered.

According to the Airport Facility Directory, multiple obstructions existed on the approach end of runway 27. These included trees that were12 feet in height, which displaced the threshold by 250 feet. The trees were located 659 feet from the approach end of the runway pavement, and 131 feet right of the centerline. A 38:1 slope was required to clear the trees.

A 50:1 approach slope to the displaced threshold was published for the runway, and the available landing length was 3,097 feet. The runway sloped downward 1.0%.

A Precision Approach Path Indicator was installed, but was inoperative at the time of the accident.

According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the pilot held an airline transport pilot certificate with multiple ratings, including airplane multi-engine land, and type ratings for the Eclipse 500, Hawker Sidley 125 business jet airplane, and Learjet. He reported 6,300 total hours of flight experience on his most recent application for an FAA first-class medical certificate, dated July 2, 2008.

According to FAA and maintenance records, the airplane was manufactured in 2007. At the time of the accident, it had accumulated 76.2 total hours of operation.

The wreckage was released to a representative of the owner’s insurance company on August 4, 2008.

The reported weather at OQN, at 1830, included: calm winds, visibility 10 miles, scattered clouds at 7,000 feet, temperature 28 degrees Celsius, dew point 18 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting of 29.75 inches of mercury.

That’s not gonna’ buff out! :open_mouth:

That is troubling to me. Over 6,000 hours, and this happens.

After touchdown, he “got on the brakes” and felt the airplane skid, but decided not to “go around” due to the “distance left.” At this point he was “pumping” the wheel brakes “continuously,” and then applied “full brakes.” The airplane then began to skid to the right and went off the end of the runway.

So I am assuming the Eclipse 500 doesn’t have anti-skid brakes?

It does not.

What about a lift dump system? He still might have been used to that from flying the Hawkers…

Nope, no lift dump either AFAIK. Nor certification for flight into known ice until just recently, after the 200th aircraft IIRC.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a lift dump system?