Multiple rigs on one account

Didn’t realise Skyaware combined all feeds but guess, unless one is running multiple units, that might be missed.

Geoff

Local skyaware will show the selected site only, Skyaware Anywhere will combine all your stations registered to your account.

1 Like

It is as easy as that!
Here is a link to my public viewable account. Notice the drop down arrow next to “Site”. There are 6 feeders each with thetr own stats shown.

1 Like

Almost too convenient for a new user to have such a good laid answer. (Almost like an AI…)

1 Like

My thoughts as well :wink:

1 Like

Not sure I’m getting the significance of that … Seems to be pretty much a repeat of the very first answers I got - actually from you I think. Seems a bit odd, I agree, for someone to make a new post answering in pretty much exactly he same way, and like 2 weeks later … :thinking: Do you believe this is not from a ‘real’ user ?

That aside, bringing everyone who sorted me out up to date. The new Zero rig continues to work very well, although due to my friend who was going to help with the roof work having a sudden medical issue, the antenna is currently still situated only about 8 feet off the deck, and shielded by the house to the south. We are hoping to get it to its final position in the next two weeks, weather and other commitments permitting.

I did in the end copy the 3B rig’s ID into the Zero’s config file, switched the 3B off, and the Zero on. PiAware wasn’t (aware that is :rofl: ) and merely issued the usual email message to warn me that the rig had rebooted. As expected, all stats, run times etc have just carried on as though nothing has happened, which was exactly the result I had hoped to get.

So once again, thanks to all the good folk on here that took the time and effort to put me straight and help me to learn a bit more about it

Geoff

1 Like

UA549

I had a look at your site. Interestingly, your highest ranked feeder is on a par with my new Zero rig, in the high 6000’s. At one point last year, when my antenna was up high sharing a mast with the weather sat antenna, I had my ranking up in the mid 3000’s. Unfortunately, I had to remove the 1090 antenna from that mast, as the SDR dongle that was co-located interfered with the VHF weather sat receiver. It kicked up so much noise that it gave S6 or 7 which over-rode the squelch and prevented it from scanning. The new location where the antenna will be fixed soon, is actually a little higher, and far enough away that intterference shouldn’t be an issue.

One question regarding your stats. I notice that your MLAT and ‘other’ figures are much lower than mine. I’ve never really understood what constitutes an ‘other’ logging. Are these bad in some way for statistics ? I’ve noticed that users with a lower ‘other’ figure seem to have better rankings ?? And MLAT ? Surely a high figure for MLAT loggings is a good thing, yes ?

Geoff

And to come up with that after a total of 1min being logged in/read time…

Also the same acct on a couple of forums the same day. And suspiciously similar to target on SFS

Based on that, your assessment seems real then. Getting so hard to tell what’s real and what isn’t now. I hate all the articles that are being ‘narrated’ now by AIs ‘reading’ from a script. They sound so real until there is suddenly an incorrect intonation that makes it sound stilted and ‘odd’ …

There is very little MLAT traffic in my area. My antennas are in the attic of a single storey condo.

An other logging is a decoded message that hasn’t got enough information in it in order to categorize it.
It could be ADS-B or MLAT but the message was either deformed or incomplete. Then it will be placed in the other group.

So is it normal to get a lot of these ? I live right under a major North - South - North corridor mostly mid to high level traffic - say 200 to 380 and signals are generally good. Most of what I see from these commercials seems to be complete data sets, as you would expect, so might all my ‘other’ loggings be coming from aircraft right out at my reception fringes ? Or maybe from traffic in and out of my local airfield which is mostly private GA stuff and seems to be a bit variable as to whether they are actually transponding at all, if maybe incomplete data ?

Geoff

Could be. Or it could be noise or interference that looks just enough like a message to be counted, but not enough to be identified.

I can’t find the thread right now, but the subject of “other” messages has come up quite a few times in relation to the standings, and how many of the highest ranked receivers tend to have suspiciously high counts of “other”.

I am pretty sure that I have seen a post or two by @obj (who is FlightAware staff) explaining how that number is calculated, but as I said, I can’t find it now.

I get these messages a lot as well.
Maybe @obj can give some more insight as suggested.

I’m sure I saw quite a long dissertation on the subject some time ago as well, but have also been unable to find it. I really don’t understand quite how the stats are compiled. I’m sure if I did, it would give me a better insight into successes and shortcomings of my system, but it seems to be a bit of a black subject that nobody really understands. I must admit that I’m a bit of a stats obsessive, and I hate not being able to understand exactly why any aspect of them has gone up or down …

With Graphs1090 you can analyze your own system. Stats are subjective in a lot of ways.

For example, in my area I’m the top postion counter. Someone else has more aircraft.
There can be a multitude of reasons why, better dongle, amplifier, antenna, better position, better cable, less interference you name it.

You can only compare if all parameters are equal.

2nd example, in the site statistics my best site is somewhere around 2500. When looking at the user stats I’m number 6. Why ? Because I have 13 stations and all results are added to the user stats.

I don’t see it as competition when someone performs better, I just want to get the most out of my setups.

1 Like

I’m with you on most of that, but slightly different on seeing it as a ‘compeition’ . Sorta …

I view it in a competitive way because I want my setup to be the best I can make it, and it rubs me wrong when I see setups that appear not to be performing to the same standard as my rig, but score higher in the rankings. And that then makes me frustrated that I don’t understand how the rankings work.

As a very experienced hardware engineer, I’m a perfectionist - always have been - and I guess that’s where my ‘funny-headiness’ and obsessive need to understand things comes from … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was confused for a while on the stats “Nearby Sites” chart showing relative performance with my site vs those nearby. @obj cleared this up recently.
The “Nearby Sites” chart is based on the median numbers of the planes and messages over the last 7 days (as I understand it). Thus if you have 10, 11, 12, 40, 50, 60, 70, for the last 7days, then the posted value will be 40. Middle number, not average.
User rankings are based on all sites results, perhaps some of your “competition” have multiple systems at different locations. This is a hobby, we are really in competition with ourselves, striving to understand and improve.

I find the Nearby Sites one of the most useful parts of the Stats page. You can use a nearby site as a reference for when you make a change to your site. All things being say in a static condition, a nearby site will track very closely with your site.

Yesterday is a good example with the Hilary storm coming into Southern CA. My site and all nearby sites were down about 30%. However, my site had one hour with no activity – we had several power outages. I didn’t notice other sites with no activity, Either they didn’t have power outages or they have backup power (tend to doubt that).

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. It makes a degree of sense as to how it works, but I’m struggling a bit with the validity of taking median values over spot average values, or better yet, a rolling average. I guess I’m just not savvy enough on the subject of statistical analysis … :grimacing:

And yes, agreed about it being a hobby.I don’t really see myself as being in competition with other sites per se. I am, as you say, in competition with myself by continuously striving to get the best results I can from my rig, but in order to do that - to some extent at least - it’s necessary to understand how the stats are compiled, and why a station appears to be doing better than your own, stats-wise, even though its figures seem to be worse ,