Model airport

I’d like to construct a model airport, actually, just runways and/or taxiways, for my die-cast model aircraft.

What are the widths of typical runways and taxiways at major aiports?
What are the dimensions of the runway/taxiway markings in the real world?
At scale of 1/400, is it as simple as taking the real-world measurement and dividing by 400 to get the model size (e.g. 100 feet would equal 0.25 feet on the model)?
Would plywood or plastic be better to use?
What type of paint should I get? Lacquer? Model? Water-based?

I realize I could buy a model airport from Gemini in the 1/400 scale but, at the price - about $100 - they are charging, I could get some paint and plywood/plastic and have money left over for 2 or 3 more models.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Go to airnav.com, and search for the airport. For example, here’s KEWR, and if you scroll down, you can see the runway dimensions.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KEWR

What are the dimensions of the runway/taxiway markings in the real world?

For this type of info I go on Google Earth and use the measure tool. Very accurate.

At scale of 1/400, is it as simple as taking the real-world measurement and dividing by 400 to get the model size (e.g. 100 feet would equal 0.25 feet on the model)?

Yes.

cough**cough flightaware.com/resources/airport/KEWR

No need to go to airnav- FA staff just added runway info (see announcement)!

Edited (since I was beaten to the post by an insider) to offer this link to FAA runway marker specifications.

Haha, my bad, I’ve been using that site for so long, it’s just a habit to go to it. :blush:

Doh! I’ve been looking at the resources materials nearly daily since they went up.

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance.

I’ll take it easy on you for not thinking of this, but why use GE to measure runways when you have a great scaled, measured diagram right here on FA? More accurate than GE and CERTIFIED by the U.S. Government!

damiross: DUDE! What were you thinking!?!? :slight_smile: (You knew I’d say something!) So now you’re just caught up with me after my javascript screw-up the other day! :smiley: (wait! I get one more smiley: :laughing: )

But seriously, 400:1 would make a pretty big model. Average small runway is 4000-5000 feet, which would make your model about 13 feet long for a simple one, and 25 or so feet for someplace like KEWR. So in your question of plywood or plastic, it depends on what your living room floor is made of because that’s probably what you’ll have to use (or your driveway. Hey! That would be cool).

That is a nice scaled diagram, but with GE you can get dimensions to the fraction of an inch on runway and taxiway markings not even on the standard diagrams you linked.

A fraction of an inch? At 1/400 scale that’s, well, pretty detailed work!

At least on GE you can get taxiway markings and such. Good luck trying on the provided documents.

I would expect if you are trying to make an accurate visual model of a particular place, photos are the most helpful- GE certainly provides a handy way to get your hands on these. Now you know where to put that pond where the geese congergate on final.

What you need to make your own airport markings is this advisory circular:

dot.ca.gov/aeronautics/documents/5340_1i.pdf

Not knocking your observations on GE, I use it almost daily. But I wouldn’t use it for measurements if there was already a drawing.

It is impossible to get measurements to fractions of an inch from GE when your source data isn’t to a resolution that fine. Depending on the photo source, half a meter pixels are pretty much as good as you are going to get, maybe a little better for a couple select areas.