Linking Reg or Airline Callsign to Photo

Hello,

Thanks for an excellent flight tracker program!
I’ve been waiting a long time for a free program like this!!!

A feature that could be added is a link to Airliners.net photo search page for a specific aircraft registration or to the airline/type of aircraft if it is referenced by a callsign.

Then one could be one-click away from viewing a photo of the aircraft.

Thanks,
MC
Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Nice thought but you will probably have to talk to those nice people at Airliners.net/jetphotos.net etc etc about linking to their photos: they are (rightly) protective of their images and their use and wouldnt that be a whole load of links!! :wink:

BR IN(uk)

We’d be interested in hearing from someone senior at airliners.net that could perhaps arrange a mutual arrangement where they link to FlightAware for tracking and we link to them for pictures.

The good folks at Flight Tracker direct link Airliners.net photos in a manner similiarly described the the author of this thread. But then again…we all know that if you want to use THEIR services, be ready to pony up 65 bucks every six months. Probably pay licensing fees to Airliners.net for the privledge.

My sugestion…try JetPhotos.net. Just as large of a database and a little less “concieted” of a web site. It wouldn’t be very hard to make all the link as you do not have to link to EACH AND EVERY REGISTRATION. the link simply queries that registration in JP.net’s database.

Curtis

Hmmm. I used to like jp.net but now I seem to spend 10 ten minutes closing pop-up ads when I go to their site.

jetphotos.net

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Yeah, it bothers me too… :unamused:

… I seem to spend 10 ten minutes closing pop-up ads when I go to their site.

1 word: Firefox. It prevents nearly all of the pop-up ads. See home.comcast.net/~damiross/ for a link to download it.

Wouldn’t it have been a lot more helpful (and easier!) to link to http://www.mozilla.com/ instead of trying to drive traffic to your own site with all its ads and banners?

Perhaps there’s a link to Firefox somewhere on your site but I sure can’t see it through all the commerical links and ads.

The link - in the form of a button - is right above my picture and right below the page title.

I wanted to make sure people get not only Firefox but also the Google toolbar for Firefox. This ensures even greater pop-up blocking power.

You can also go to www.firefox.com but you will need to install the Google toolbar separately.

Theres no banner on the page - that’s the title of the page.

Despite looking hard for it I can’t see it either. The page is very unorganised and “busy”.

thanks for the airliners.net mention. I found and downloaded pictures of two of the planes I track.

Despite looking hard for it I can’t see it either. The page is very unorganised and “busy”.

What do you mean by “busy?” Are you using a PC or a Mac? Browser?
I try to make my pages “user friendly” and find that when I look at my page on Firefox, Netscape, or Internet Explorer that it is easy to view. Is your browser window maximized? ARe you using at least a 15" monitor?
I know these questions are off-topic but I want to make sure that people can easily download the best browser out there and get Google Toolbar at the same time. Firefox, with some minor exceptions, is so much better to browse then IE!

At the top of the page it says “David’s Eclectic World”.
Right below that is a button to go to the Firefox with Google Toolbar. The text on the button says “Browse the web faster. Get Firefox with Google Toolbar.” Clicking this takes you tothe site to download Firefox with the Google Toolbar. Download and install the program and you have Firefox with the Google Toolbar.

The alternative is to use these steps:
go to mozilla.com/firefox/
download Firefox
Install Firefox
Open Firefox
Locate the Extensions menu item
search for Google toolbar
download and install google toolbar
close Firefox.
Restart Firefox.

Exactly what I say.

I’ve used Firefox before and didn’t like it. Too gimmicky. I’ll stick with IE thanks.

The download link for Firefox+Google plugin is paid ad from Google; if you have ad-blocking enabled you won’t be able to see the Firefox+Google download link.

Be nice, guys.

The download link for Firefox+Google plugin is paid ad from Google; if you have ad-blocking enabled you won’t be able to see the Firefox+Google download link.

Has FlightAware considered placing this ad on their pages? I do it not so much for the money (the income I get from Google is about $1 a month and, yes, I’m not spending it all in one place :laughing:) but to get the word out about the Firefox & Google Toolbar combination.

We used to have it, but we’ve moved on (up?) to regular Google ads from third parties.