Issues with recreating my PiAware Site

OK, it was my fault to begin with by not backing up my SD before it crashed a few days ago (Ver 6.0 recently updated) I have had to rebuild from the beginning with a download of Ver 6.1. I captured the feeder_id from my status page and added it to the piaware-config.txt file. The system started ok and SkyAware is working. SSH works fine so the IP address is exactly the same as before. Below is the output from -status. It indicates that I’m not connected to Flightaware and I don’t have a feeder ID yet.

It’s been well over 30 min with no indication that any connection has been made yet.

I may have overlooked something so I would really appreciate any suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks for any assistance,

Dave Firestone

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 521.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is running with pid 599.
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is not running (disabled by configuration settings)
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is not running.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090-fa) is running with pid 518.

dump1090-fa (pid 518) is listening for ES connections on port 30005.
faup1090 is connected to the ADS-B receiver.
piaware is NOT connected to FlightAware.

dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005.

You don’t have a feeder ID yet.

sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 

sudo systemctl restart piaware   

Where xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx is the 32- digit feeder id (Unique Identifier) you copied from your FA stats page.

Thanks so much…that fixed part of the problem. Actually, as a result of your suggestion I discovered that my piaware-config.txt file had “feeder_id” vice “feeder-id”.

Per the last -status I still have no connection to FlightAware.
Thanks again for your quick response and input!!!

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 721.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is running with pid 739.
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is not running (disabled by configuration settings)
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is not running.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090-fa) is running with pid 518.

dump1090-fa (pid 518) is listening for ES connections on port 30005.
faup1090 is connected to the ADS-B receiver.
piaware is NOT connected to FlightAware.

dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005.

Your feeder ID is xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx (configured at /boot/piaware-config.txt:97)

Seems some characters are missed out in xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx while copy-pasting it from your FA my adsb site to file /boot/piaware-config.txt. Again copy-paste it, making sure all 32 characters are copied and pasted. You can count the numbers of characters to make sure. There are 8-4-4-4-12 characters (total 32).

After copy paste and saving piaware-config.txt, restart piaware.

Thanks! I checked and confirmed the ID and then went through the copy/paste process again anyway. Character count is ok and resultant input to the config file added it in again with the comment # updated by fa_piaware_config (I’d show the ID here but security issues…)

Much appreciated…

(1) Did you restart piaware or rebooted Pi after re-copy-pasting feeder-id?

(2) What is output of this command

ping -c 3 google.com

You may have gotten me on that one:-) I did the restart first and then later did a reboot via the shutdown and power up route.

Here is the result of the ping. I clearly need to check my configuration on that. It appears DNS my not be working as I have it configured. Will spend some time on that after dinner.

pi@piaware:~ $ ping -c 3 google.com
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
pi@piaware:~ $ ping -c 3 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.160 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.160 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.1.160 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable

— 8.8.8.8 ping statistics —
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 44ms
pipe 2

Here is the appropriate lines from the config file:

wireless-address 192.168.1.160
wireless-netmask 255.255.255.0
wireless-broadcast 192.168.1.255
wireless-gateway 192.168.1.254
wireless-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

I’ve still got work to do:-) Thanks again…

I changed the gateway to .1 vice .254 and got a connection to FlightAware. Am not sure where I found .254 but things appear to be working better. Will watch it for awhile and see how the data collection goes.

Thanks for your help and encouragement!!

1 Like

Congratulations!

Thanks for the hand-holding!!!

1 Like

For the benefit of anyone coming across this thread later, another place to look at for connection issues like this is /var/log/piaware.log (that’ll tell you why piaware can’t connect to the FlightAware servers)

(also, DHCP is usually what you want in the typical home network environment, static configs are uncommon)

1 Like

OBJ, thanks for closing the loop on that. You and abcd567 have been very helpful. With 778 days of continuous operation of the great Piaware software, I regrettably didn’t stay current with the knowledge and skills.

I appreciate your DHCP comment. I chose a static configuration because I have other programs (PuTTY and VirtualRadar) already set up with that address.

Now, tonight when the number of aircraft flying drops off, I have to bring down the tracker and backup the SD so I don’t have to go through this next time the SD gets corrupted. Lesson learned :slight_smile:

Thanks again!!

Have a look here, a solution to backup over net network… I think last post is what is required.

I’ll check that out. Thanks!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.