Intermittent dump1090 (is)/(is NOT) producing data on localhost:30005

I have looked through the previous posts on this topic and have not found a solution.

When running ‘sudo piaware-status’ I often will see that the output will cycle between “dump1090 is NOT producing data on localhost:30005” and “dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005”.

1. Installed (and reinstalled a few times, so maybe not corrupted/broken software) Raspbian Buster and PiAware (Debian Package Add-on) 6.1. Feeder mode: Mode-S (1090 MHz).
  2. FlightAware Pro Stick Plus with FlightAware 1090Mhz antenna.
  3. Pi Model 3B+ V1.3; Revision: a020d3; SoC: BCM2837; RAM: 1GB
  4. I can see that the USB is connected well and there is no under-voltage issue (also using the official RaspberryPi power adapter for the board).
  5. I am also running a FR24 receiver configured as ‘ModeS Beast’ with host IP 127.0.0.1:300005. This is to avoid dump1090-mutability v1.14 conflict with FlightAware’s dump1090-fa.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If you have another ProStick, replace existing one with it. This situation may be due to a dying dongle.

Yeah, I saw this advice too. I bought a new FlightAware Pro Stick Plus stick and still the same. I have just resigned to leave it be.

If dongle is OK then other possibility is intermittent connection between antenna & dongle. This can br due to coax connector is broken or the coax itself is broken from inside.

If you have an indoor antenna like the one shown in the post linked below, you can disconnect your regular antenna’s coax from the ProStick and connect this indoor mag mount antenna and run your setup for few days to see if intermittent behaviour stays or is gone

I have tried with 4 different cables and I have bought 4 different antennas (2 with built-in cables) thinking that these were problems. All to the same effect. Reaching out to this forum was kind of my last-ditch attempt. I am not sure if this is a FA problem as I can’t really tell from the FR24 “sudo service fr24feed status” output as it does not show the dump1090 status.

Thanks and much appreciated.

Did you try another microSD card? May be the microSD Card is dying.

If the ProStick is connected to Pi through USB cable, remove cable and connect ProSrtick directly to RPi

Try plugging in the ProStick in other USB ports of RPi

This can be normal if you are in a very low-traffic area. The piaware-status test is, essentially “did port 30005 produce some data within N seconds”, which is usually fine in most cases but if you have almost no traffic and can have periods where dump1090 is legitimately not producing data because there’s nothing to decode, then you’ll see this type of behaviour.

1 Like

So … the real symptom might be that your reception is bad, looking at your stats and historic stats.
https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/pistatic#stats-150516

One possibility is that some source of interference appeared.
If it’s in broad band there is nothing you can do.

If it’s some out of band interference a filter can help.
Local statitics like graphs1090 can help with diagnosing such stuff.

What happened on 29th November?

Looks like an antenna system issue.
Rain in the antenna or coax.
Loose or broken antenna or coax connection.

Another possibility would be a new source of RF noise.

Please see “Scan 3 of 3” below which shows how adding a Filter Between Antenna and Receiver eliminates unwanted RF signals picked by Antenna. Scans done as described in the Guide linked below:

Spektrum - How-to Speedily Scan RF Noise in band 24MHz ~ 1800MHz

The results of scans are below:

The scan 1 shows RF noise picked by antenna and processed without any filter , The scans 2 & 3 were done with filters, and show how filters remove this noise.

Scan 1 of 3 - FA Antenna + Generic DVB-T (no internal or external filter)

Thumb-Generic DVB-T

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER SIZE

Scan 2 of 3 - FA Antenna + ProStick Plus (Only Internal filter of ProStick Plus. No External filter)

Scan 3 of 3 - FA Antenna + ProStick Plus (with internal filter) + External Filter (FA Light Blue)

imageimage

I had to change the location of my setup on November 29th. But this issue was the same at the original location too (and where I started swapping out hardware and cables).

Interesting! I thought we did not have to use the external filter with the Pro Stick Plus. I used the external filter with the orange Pro Stick and have just added this to the Pro Stick Plus now. Let see how.

Make sense.I just thought that this message was that something is wrong with the setup.

There was a change in location on Nov 29th where the LoS is not as fantastic as before. But this issue was evident even at the old location too. Based on some of the advice received I have now added the external filter to the Pro Stick Plus. Let’s see how this helps. Thanks!

Well if the issue only happened at night then that part is explained.

Worse LOS will make that worse of course.

FWIW I am actually just a few km away from you, also with a poor LoS, and I do get gaps where there’s just nothing visible (especially if the RSAF is taking a break). Don’t need a filter on a PS+ here, but it’s possible you have a noisier environment than I do.

Thanks! I think the best explanation is that this status output is not caused by software/configuration or physical setup errors, but just the plain fact that there is no data being received.

It’s not necessary all the time, only in case of some interferences close to you.
In one of me previous setups i had the blue ProPlus Stick. Attaching the dedicated dark blue FA filter did not change anything in reception.

But i am living in an area without significant interferences

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.