Improving signal noise

Hi there. New to the community. I was wondering what tool you were using to generate your graphs ?

@Elvorfin look at Graphs for dump1090 -- my version with install script

1 Like

That’s brilliant. Thank you . I have just installed those on my original Pi build |(on a Pi mk 1! It’s running FR24 and I assume that these graphs will work with that build, as I guess it’s basically the same data.

Hi all. I have a CC1090/9-PSE from Vinnat. Sadly it’s not performed as it should. I’ve been intouch with Stanislav who have been really helpful on trying to resolve issues with it. Various testing. It has arrived damaged thanks to Parcel Force (it was thrown over the fence).

I would really really like to make this thing work.

It’s my delivery that possibly is why they won’t send them now.

I think it depends where you are. I have also ordered one and that one is currently in transit. The delivery is by the end of week I think, it has departed from Slovakia towards the Netherlands where I live.

I’m in the south west of England. Mine took 4 days and was really quick.

Physical damage on a molded antenna sounds like the kiss of death. The shipping animals these days can be quite unpredictable! A respectable zoo wouldn’t put them on display.

It’s a coaxial colinear, Nothing moulded. Below should be some photos. I grabbed some cables whilst I was at it. The antenna did arrive damaged, the 2 sections had come apart on the white block with the glue cracking. Plus the box was damaged.

free image hosting site

I’ve just taken it apart again and taken photos closer up.

I also tested with a multimeter for what I know. On the N connector centre pin to the outer screw element I get a short across them. This should be correct as I believe it’s a DV Shorted antenna with the inner and putter joined and soldered at the top.

I got my self a VNA to test. Stanislav said the antenna is damaged.

So I sent them the photos and I got this back

I gutted as I was hoping it was to be all singing and dancing. Would be good if it could be fixed. Sorry for the large random post.

Yes sir. Looks pretty well buggered. Something to play with if you have the time and the patience to go the distance.

yup that antenna has taken a beating indeed.
So what did you decide on ? Refund and try again ? Or did you go for a different option ? Stanislav has an excellent customer service from my expierience.

I’m confused how you both come to that claim. The only damage that came be seen is on the outer section of what is the housing. More to the point the glue has failed and cracked. The sections have then come apart.

The antenna it’s self looks to complete and solid.

Stainslav after testing via the VNA refunded me the antenna, I didn’t get to ask or be offered. I would have taken a smaller one etc.

I’d really like to get it working but not sure I can. The upper sections I presume are soldered and heatshrink together. There is a rod running the length which it’s taped too in section which I presume is for supporting it and install into the enclosure.

Hi Peter,

I understood you had taken it apart for examination.
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my comment, I was just wondering what action you had taken in regard to this one being defective.
The glue cracking is something that might have happened in transport indeed.

Trying to fix it is a different matter, as your VNA shows there is something wrong with the tuning of the antenna.

1 Like

Hi Tom, no problem perhaps I miss understood. So the glue I can fix no problem. I use epoxy all the time for high power rocketry and carbon production. I’d clean off what is there. Might add a chamfer more so the epoxy has something to sit into. Roughen the surfaces so they can grab and then I’d use some masking tape to allow run off which is then remove just as the epoxy starts to gel they leaving a nice lip/seal and for the epoxy no to be pulled. Doing 1 section at a time as well for better control.

As for the antenna not sure. Out of my depth unless anyone can advise. Some have said the VNA showed it was okay but I have no idea.

I’m gonna try it again today out of the unit free air on a FA Pro stick.

1 Like

What am I missing on that VNA shot?

It shows 1.082:1 at 1090 MHz.

CoCos are notoriously difficult to build properly. When the Vinnant aerials were new, we bought a couple of them, one with an N type and one with an SMA (I think). We put the one up with the SMA and it was fine but we had to use an adapter. A few weeks later we swapped it for the one with the N type and it was really bad. They were allegedly both the same spec aerial so we just put the original one back and it’s been there since.

So did Stanislav at Vinnant recommend a particular VNA analyzer or did you just pick one out yourself? Any recommendations from forum members here?

Negative. No recommendation given. Across various other groups it’s one they use a few recommended but they all do the same. Plus mainly what was on YouTube.

Upgraded NanoVNA-H4 Vector Network Analyzer, SeeSii Latest V4.3 10KHz-1.5GHz HF VHF UHF 4" Touch Screen Antenna Analyzer Measuring S Parameters, Voltage Standing Wave Ratio, Phase, Delay, Smith Chart https://amzn.eu/d/6Ua9Q5r

Added beauty being Amazon send it back

Thanks for the reference on the SeeSii Analyzer.

One you get it you then have to calibrate it. Pretty easy but annoying as you have to calibrate es h time you change the frequency or what I was told. I duno.

Yes, that is the norm for swr measurements. Anytime you change frequencies you need to recalibrate to zero. Used to that from the radio hobby.

1 Like

My goodies have arrived and are installed. it was perfectly fine, no damage, not even on the box itself. Neatly packed and delivered within 7 days.

What did I do
2 new antennas replacing existing ones
COL1090/7.5P replaced by COL1090/9-PSE
COL1090/5-S replaced by a COL1090/5-P.

2 stock antennas replaced,
Standard radar box antenna (small one) replaced by COL1090/5-S
Chinese Bingfu antenna replaced by COL1090/7.5P.

Stats:
COL1090/9-PSE tomvdhorst ADS-B Feeder Statistics - FlightAware
COL1090/7.5-P tomvdhorst ADS-B Feeder Statistics - FlightAware
COL1090/5-P tomvdhorst ADS-B Feeder Statistics - FlightAware
COL1090/5-S tomvdhorst ADS-B Feeder Statistics - FlightAware

Now lets see how they do over the next days :wink:

2 Likes