Now I am getting this:

WARNING: Failed to set sample rate.
No E4000 tuner found, aborting.
rtlsdr_write_reg failed with -4

should I try different usb ports?

it found both when I changed ports

Is it a PI 4?
ā€¦

Most likely as i already said your power supply is too weak.
You need one of the official ones.
Using two dongles on one RPi has a few complications, like lack of power.

Or itā€™s a RPi4, that still has a problem with USB for some reason making the dongles not work.

I have the official pi wall outlet. If I direct connect the internet and shut down wifi will that give me the power I need?

Do you have the new RPi 4?
That currently doesnā€™t work even for one dongle.

With the RPi 3B+ i donā€™t really see why it wouldnā€™t be working if both dongles are plugged in directly.

Could I use 2 raspberry pi with a 1090 antenna on 1 and 978 antenna on the other. Do I just use the same feeder ID on each?

You use a different feeder-id for each computer.
Those are assigned automatically and you just claim the station.

That will also mean you have extra statistics for 978 which is quite useful.

You could also specify the other pi as a network source for 978 data and not run piaware on the 978 receiver.
That would keep it as one station.

But you canā€™t run the same feeder-id on two computers.

I saw a post that the drivers do not work currently for the for the pi 4.

Iā€™ve written twice in this thread that the RPi 4 isnā€™t working with rtl-sdr dongles.

1 Like

Does that include the flight aware sdr?

Thatā€™s all dongles that are compatible with dump1090-fa.
All DVB-T sticks basically.

Some sticks might be excluded but your inconsistent errors (changing from run to run) confirm the symptoms.

Is someone working on the problem?

The Raspberry Pi people are aware, according to this post from a Raspberry Pi engineer from their forum. Not sure fixing it has a high priority right now, thoughā€¦

Weā€™ve seen this during testing. The set of commands sent to the device to put it into raw streaming mode sometimes stalls and for some reason the host controller doesnā€™t respond with the correct endpoint state to the host driver; or thereā€™s a race between the command submission and completions returned by the driver.
Oddly, you can get it to work about 25% of the time - which implies a software race rather than hardware bugginess.

How do I specify the other pi as a network source for 978 data and not run piaware on the 978 receiver?

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s possible with the sd-card.

If you are going to run another piaware sd-card anyway, iā€™d just recommend claiming a second station.
Much easier and you have nice online stats how UAT reception is working.

1 Like

The instructions posted on ā€œApr 2ā€ in the first post seem straightforward, but I"m having problems and since Iā€™m an instruction follower and donā€™t understand what all the commands do, I"m not sure what I need to do to fix it.

My first ā€œrtl_test -tā€ resulted in:

Using device 0: Generic TRL2832U
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0

I saw the reply about this issue so I did the following:

sudo systemctl stop piaware
sudo systemctl stop dump978-fa
Failed to stop dump978-fa.service: Unit dump978-fa.service not loaded.
sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa
rtl_test -t

Found 2 device(s):
0: Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00001090
1: Realtek, RTL2838UFA, SN: 00000978

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
No E4000 tuner found, aborting.

It aborted so it means something is wrong but I donā€™t understand what ā€œNo E4000 tuner foundā€ means but it may be causing my current issue.

I unplugged the 978 dongle (leaving the 1090 one plugged in), same issue.

The only piaware-config stuff I did was ā€œreceiver-type noneā€ then ā€œuat-receiver-type sdrā€ and then did the ā€œsudo rebootā€ and every time Iā€™ve done that in this exercise, ssh always goes back to my windows 10 command prompt because of a connection lost which Iā€™m not sure is what I should be expecting or if there is a problem with my reboot commands.

The SN 00001090 tuner is the flightaware blue dongle, the SN 00000978 tuner is flightaware orange dongle.

Iā€™m running a raspberry pi 3 Model B.

Pulling up the piaware IP in my browser, ā€œRadioā€ is red, Piaware and Flightaware are green and it says Iā€™m running Piaware 3.7.1.

1090 map comes up empty (no flights shown) and itā€™s probably because the radio is red because Iā€™m not sure what problem I have and how to fix it.

Thanks for any assistance to at least get my 1090 working again if not both.

There is nothing wrong, this is normal responce, not an error. Dont worry about it.

ā€œreceiver-type noneā€ is wrong, it will stop 1090 mhz. Use ā€œreceiver-type rtlsdrā€.

Upon issueing reboot command, ā€œconnection lostā€ and ssh going back to win10 command prompt is normal.

This is because you have stopped 1090 mhz by using setting ā€œreceiver-type noneā€. Reset to ā€œreceiver-type rtlsdrā€, then reboot Pi.

To use both 1090 & 978, correct settings are as follows:

sudo piaware-config receiver-type rtlsdr 
sudo piaware-config uat-receiver-type sdr 
sudo systemctl restart piaware

A huge thank you for these steps - that got the 1090 working again.

I decided to then reintroduce the 978 dongle to the Pi3B and then got this when doing the rtl_test -t:

Found 2 device(s):
0: Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00001090
1: Realtek, RTL2838UFA, SN: 00000978

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

What is the fix for the usb claim issue so that I can run both? I either overlooked it in this thread or it was only said how to run the test on individual dongles by stopping dump978-fa and dump1090-fa.

Do I need to use piaware-config to tell piaware the serial numbers of each dongle so it can claim them properly when plugged in at the same time?

Thanks!