How-to Get VRS-Like Coverage Map on RPi

When loading the map I get a “Oops something went wrong” See javascript console for details

Try Ctrl+Shift+Delete, then Ctrl+F5, and if that does not work, try another browser

1 Like

Nope no luck with the map.
Everything else loads good except the maps. I wonder if having my google key installed will have this problem?

What changes you made to file mm2.sh when you opened it with nano?

1 Like

I get a different message in Firefox:

This page can’t load Google Maps correctly.

Do you own this website?

But if I click OK then all is good. Well… kind of, because on every tile it says “For Development Purposes Only”.

LE: I have created a google key and added it with this line:

–google-key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \

1 Like

I don’t have google pay turned on for the billing.

/home/pi/mm2/modesmixer2
–inConnectId 192.168.1.199:30005:ADSB
–inConnectId 192.168.1.199:30105:MLAT
–web 8787
–location xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
–frdb /home/pi/flightroute.sqb
–silhouettes /home/pi/silhouettes
–pictures /home/pi/logos
–db /home/pi/basestation.sqb
–outServer sbs10001:10010
–google-key /xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \

@abcd567
Maybe just make a script to install GitHub - alkissack/Dump1090-OpenLayers3-html: Modifications to the OL3 html files (part of the dump1090-fa branch)

All you gotta do is download it for example as a complete zip file, unpack it to for example /usr/local/share/alkissack/

and use a file like this (name it 89-alkissack.conf), copy it to conf-available, enable it it with lighty-enable-mod alkissack and restart lighttpd.

alias.url += (
  "/alkissack/data/" => "/run/dump1090-fa/",
  "/alkissack/" => "/usr/local/share/alkissack/"
)

# redirect the slash-less URL
url.redirect += (
  "^/alkissack$" => "/dump1090-fa/"
)

That webinterface works with Openstreetmap and has a coverage graph.

2 Likes

Update. Google kep installed without having billing turned on will cause that problem. I removed the reference line for the google map key. Its working now in developement mode but quite alright for me.

What I have read about this is very interesting with these layers.

I’ve been using that mod for a while and really like it - it’s got some quite nice features. You can have layers for the UK and US (I have the US ones disabled):

You can have mouse pointer position and range:

The aircraft database is slightly different and includes aircraft type names, and it highlights interesting aircraft - things like military flight, notable historic aircraft, police/ambulance helicopters etc.

You also get labels on the aircraft when you zoom in closer:

2 Likes

I have now modified the script and replaced all occurances of /home/pi/ by ${PWD}.
Now script works OK with any user name.

To test this, I just now created a new user test, included it in sudo group, switched user to test, moved to test’s home folder by cd, then ran the bash script, and rebooted. It works perfect.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo adduser test 
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo adduser test sudo 
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ su test
test@raspberrypi:/home/pi $ cd 
test@raspberrypi:~ $

test@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/mm2/master/install-mm2.sh)"  

test@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo reboot 
2 Likes

Is this used with ModeSMixer2?

No, it’s a replacement for the map served by dump1090. You can replace the normal dump1090 web view with it by replacing the files, or you can do what @wiedehopf posted above and give it its own directory and configuration in lighttpd. You don’t need to have any additional software running for it.

1 Like

you need to have two “-” in front of “google-key” so it should be
--google-key xxxxx

2 Likes

I knew that. Forum makes the change, thanks!

1 Like

I was struggling across the same typo :wink:

1 Like

Mr. wiedehopf,
Can you make the instructions more simple for us who knowledge of Linux is low. :crazy_face:

I would just write an install script instead of making instructions.
I’ll do that later maybe.
(those weren’t instructions but hints for abcd567 on how to do exactly that, because he just made an install script for mm2)

2 Likes

I did not make install script for mm2 just now. I made it 11 months ago.

Today when @SoNic67 cmplained that the script failed on his Orange Pi because of a name different from pi, then I made changes as follows:

1. Renamed the file install-mm2.sh to install-mm2-usr-pi.sh.

2. Ceated a new blank file with original name install-mm2.sh, and copy pasted modified code (same as original, but all paths /home/pi replaced by ${PWD}), so that it can be used on Orange Pi which does not use default user pi.

3. Tested on my Pi: created a new user named test and from directory /home/test/ ran the bash command, and it installed modesmixer2 successfully in folder /home/test/mm2/mm2.sh :slight_smile:

2 Likes