How-to Get VRS-Like Coverage Map on RPi

One thing is for sure, you all know what you are doing when it comes to Linux and setting up the programs

I’ve manage to install mm2 successfully on pi3, it’s working OK, all tabs, but for some reason I don’t get plane registrations, this whole column is empty. I’m running piaware 3.7.1, only 1090 MHz.
Any idea why this could be happening?
Thanks
Chris

ModeSMixer doesn’t have a database of registrations built in. You can point it to a basestation.sqb file and it will show those details.

You can find database files of various quality knocking about the various plane spotting/monitoring forums that will do the job.

1 Like

Please see this post:
(and also few more posts after this post)

I have a dedicated Pi3B just for Mode S Mixer2 and Virtual Radar Server. On home/pi directory I have two extra folders called silhouettes and logos and also in that directory of home/pi I have a basestation.sqb file. I point those programs to those three files to use in their respective programs.

2 Likes

mm2 is pretty easy to get it running. Make sure that you’re using the correct string for getting the data from your dump1090 install.

Typically it’s --inConnect :30003

you will find the full documentation here:

http://xdeco.org/?page_id=48

1 Like

modesmixer2 can use data from any of the following ports of dump1090:

port 30002 (provides data in raw format) .
port 30003 (provides data in Basestation format).
port 30005 (provides data in Beast format).

I prefer to use --inConnect 127.0.0.1:30005

2 Likes

Did they ever fix the google map issue, that is why I uninstalled this.

Unfortunately NOT yet :frowning_face:

The google map issue isn’t really ‘fixable’ in that Google changed their policy on the use of maps. You can fix it yourself by signing up for a Google API key I think - it won’t cost you anything for low volume personal use but you do have to give them a card number. Then you start modesmixer declaring the key on the command line (example key, not real):

--google-key LIzaSyBDXXXGYNu5YYYWtVRjaIZZZZZZzmKIn8rY

There is no update to use alternative maps at present.

1 Like

Thanks caius for providing a free key :wink:

1 Like

Why do I have to type 20 characters to say something that can be said with one?

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

To include 30105 for MLAT data for local display in map

Currently the mm2 is automatically started at boot by an startup line in file /etc/rc.local.

I am planning to change the installation script to create a systemd service file, to start the program by systemd service at boot.

After this change, the modesmixer2 will start automatically at boot, and will have following commands to control/monitor it:

sudo systemctl restart modesmixer2
sudo systemctl stop modesmixer2
sudo systemctl status modesmixer2
1 Like

[abcd567]
Unfortunately NOT yet

Bummer, it froze on me with that map. And NO I will not hand out credit card numbers.

Neither did I hand over my credit card number to Google.

I am still using it. I have learned to tolerate the darkness of the map plus “for development” water marks.

1 Like

This is getting out of control.

I purchased a so called smart power outlet. It’s basically a ON/OFF switch controlled over WiFi, through an iOS or Android App. Got home to play with it, and what was the first stumbling block? One needs to create an account with the manufacturer to use it.

I put it back in the box, and returned it for a refund.

I don’t know if it was going to ask me for a credit card. I was not willing to give them anything, not even my first name, just to switch a power outlet…in MY house!

1 Like

Where are privacy laws, and why Government does not take action against those business who trap users to pass them private info, which is not needed for using the product. Why one should register for purchasing a machine gun ON-OFF switch?

1 Like

abcd567, I do the same.

Remove the google map api key line completely then it will work in developers mode.