Historical Flight Log Bug

I’m trying to pull up a historical map on N390JK.

I’m looking for the segment originating at (LAS152093), with departure time 8:26 PM GMT. An error message pops up stating, “This flight has not departed yet …”, and no map can be retrieved.

It’s obvious from the log that the flight was flown, even if the times may be questionable.

A minor bug, I’m sure, but it needs to be fixed.

The flight isn’t underlined (linked) because we never received a departure message for it, so we can’t be certain which position reports concerned that flight.

I’m not sure I understand that, Mark. There are a departure time and an Origin location (LAS152093) which can be mapped. If you said there’s no flight track and, therefore, no map, that I would understand. Maybe all you need to do is change the wording of the error message because “not departed yet” doesn’t cover it.

The departure time, 08:26PM GMT, is in italics which means we received it as a proposed departure time, but never received a departure message to confirm that the flight started.

This is just a little ‘quibble’, Mark, but you got an arrival (time) message, so is there no associated flight track reported when you’re told a plane has arrived? Btw, the PDT (-1) arrival date looks so strange!

No, there is not. The arrival message only says “flight $foo got to $bar at $time” and we can’t assume that all position reports between that arrival message and the previous arrival message were associated with that flight. After departing KHII the aircraft could have gone on a number of VFR flights, and we don’t want to display those positions as part of the Vegas VOR to KSAN flight.

The minus one does appear incorrect; I don’t think it’s possible to take off at 2026 GMT and land at 1400 PDT on the previous day. I’ll put it in bugaware soon.

Thanks for the explanations, Mark. I appreciate it.

After departing KHII the aircraft could have gone on a number of VFR flights, and we don’t want to display those positions as part of the Vegas VOR to KSAN flight.

We often have seen VFR “flight following” tracks displayed after an IFR flight has been completed. Sometimes this occurs days or weeks after the IFR flight. Are these “add-ons” being preserved in the historical flight map record?

We’re keeping everything and eventually we plan on having a way of displaying the positions from those VFR flights. Since we don’t know the orgin/destination, it would appear in the activity history just as dates/times with a note that the track isn’t associated with a flight plan.

From a data mining perspective, I think it would be trivial to see an arrival message without a matching departure and assume any positions within a certain time constraint (4 minute center sweeps for example) and lat/long distance would be the same flight for tracking purposes.

That might have to be a background job, but it ought to work for the purpose of VFR flights.

You could probably do a “nearest” airport search for the departure, although when I looked at one of my flights from 1H0, the track didn’t pick up until I picked up my clearance in the air. The nearest search would probably have turned up STL at that point if it was VFR. Still, that is pretty close. Maybe a color coded departure or “?” mark could tell it was derived.

Ron Anderson