Handheld VHF Transceivers

Hey !

I’m looking for a decent handheld transceiver for safety and also for leisure. Optimally, it would incorporate COM & NAV capabilities, but I could just as well be very happy with a top-of-the-line COM-only radio. I’ve been considering mostly Sporty’s SP-200, the Vertex VX-300 Pilot III and the ICOM IC-A24 and even the IC-A14 (com only).

Any input (range, noise, performance, etc.) would be greatly appreciated !

No-brainer. Icom.

I have the Icom A-24. It is a great radio and features both the com and nav functions. For the price you cannot go wrong. It has been available for some time now and if you search there are deals with extra batteries etc. available. I have other Icom equipment from the amateur band and have never had any problems.

I have had the Sportys version with comm and nav for probably 5 years or so. I have had no issues with it at all. I listen to it at home more than at the airport as I live fairly close to GSO (Greensboro, NC) and listen to the arrivals and departures and the high altitude frequencies for ARTCC.

I had an external antenna installed in the plane which helps reception and range of the nav.

Price is good. Never experienced ICOM but their reputation is excellent of course. Probably couldn’t go wrong with either.

Good luck!

Ive owned the Icom A23 for years - great unit. I use it mainly to call clearance delivery and get IFR clearances without having to turn on the engine or electrical system and drain the battery. You cannot use an Avband transmitter without being a pilot according to the FCC regs I have seen.

I haven’t tried the ICom units but I do have a Vertex Standard Pilot III. It has the COM/NAV capabilities, weather channels and much more. The NAV feature can pretty much do anything a basic VOR indicator can.

It has never failed me and holds a charge for a remarkably long time. After 6 months of occasional use I finally resorted to leaving it on for several days so I could drain the battery to do a recharge.

With a Lifetime Warrenty included I can’t have any complaints.

I’m surprised to hear that…I didn’t have to present any certificate to get mine.

Another fan of the Vertex Standard.

You don’t need a certificate to buy it, just to use it. According to the FCC, you are also not allowed to use cell phones in the cockpit, but I don’t see the FCC police really chasing down any bad guys.

You can use it as a receiver, but you need a legitimate reason to use it as a transmitter such as being a pilot.

Or an Air Boss at an air show.

Or taxi/parking guides during special events, e.g. Oshkosh, Sun-N-Fun, etc.

Or a fireline foreman in CA guiding water drops.

Gas passers in the pit in KC135s, KC10s, etc., have COM capability.

And of course the government, in the form of the FAA, Customs, NAVY, ARMY, USCG, etc., can do whatever they want because FCC regs don’t apply to them.

I was looking at the VXA-710 for my survival vest due to it’s compact size and weight while still having all the features. Anyone else have it and like it? Or conversly anyone heard anything bad about it? Since it is for emergency only I really don’t want to find out at the wrong time that it is junk. :slight_smile:

I used the Vertex Standard Pilot III as a line guy, and while I was getting my ratings. The range is great, it holds a charge for an incredibly long time. It also takes a hell of a beating, I’ve dropped that thing of a tug going full speed more than once, and no problems. It’s also waterproof, and I can vouch for that too! The NAV function is also nice.

The ICOM seems to break where the battery attaches to the radio. I’ve seen a bunch of ICOM’s with duct tape on them.

i would think if you used it to transmit, you could be located pretty easily and punished.

:unamused: Only if you used it in malice, which I doubt is sirjohnathon’s…or the OP’s intent of use.

I’ve used mine to talk to arriving aircraft at uncontrolled fields (meet us in east parking). As long as it’s aviation related and not on an ATC frequency who would care?

the Vertex Standard looks the cutest, except for the antenna.

Are you a chick?

LOL! Maybe we should start a poll?

…Must…restrain…myself…from…comment… :smiling_imp: