Haiti- lots of aid coming in

Interesting to see who is en route. I see China, Belgium and Lichtenstein have planes headed there at this moment.

flightaware.com/live/airport/MTPP/enroute

Nice to see the relieve efforts going underway. PoP ATC must be working overtime.

Notables are the Hercules 130 from Lynden Cargo and the infamous Bell Helicopter with reg no N719GB.

Look at the last two pages of the Banter Thread.

In addition to the aircraft already mentioned, I have seen a Brazilian 737-200 and E190, and a Blue Line A310 that brought in the French Military on various news outlets.

CNN just reported that the port is unusable.

What a mess…

Notables are the Hercules 130 from Lynden Cargo and the infamous Bell Helicopter with reg no N719GB.

Please excuse a stupid question…Why is the helicopter infamous?

You’re excused Bob :wink:

This helicopter is (according to several people/websites) operated by the CIA. But don’t take my word for it.

Florida Air Transport DC-6

flightaware.com/live/flight/N70B … /KOPF/MTPP

or a cruise ship with a great sun deck.

flightaware.com/live/flight/CSQ431

FAA has suspended flights to MTPP. They are out of ramp space and fuel.

GROUND STOP ALL ACFT DESTINED MTPP DUE TO AIRPORT AND AIRSPACE
SATURATATION.
SCOPE: ALL CIVILIAN USA DEPARTURES
UPDATE: 2100Z

PORT AU PRINCE ACC HAS ADVZD THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY ACFT INBOUND
TO MTPP. DUE TO EXCESSIVE HOLDING AND AIRPORT SATURATION.
ACFT OPERATORS ARE ENCOURAGED TO CALL THE FAA RECOVERY DESK AT 703
925 9011 OR 866 654 2005 FOR FURTHER INFORMATION. US MILTARY ARE
EXEMPT FROM G/S

Information from NBAA:

We have just received an update from the Crisis Management Center at the Command Center. Information remains sketchy at best.

What we know:

• Haitian airspace is only open to humanitarian aircraft operating to and from Haiti airports. They are no longer accepting any over-flights due to very limited staffing (2 controllers who have been working since the quake).
  • The ground stop that was issued at 1500z has been extended now through 1900z at the request of the Haitian government. Numerous aircraft are currently holding for a spot on the ramp at MTPP, some for over two hours and we expect some to have to divert due to fuel issues.
  • There is no fuel available at MTPP.
  • Once (if) the ground stop is released, aircraft filed for MTPP should plan at least one hour of holding fuel and enough extra fuel to get to a secondary airport after departing MTPP without refueling.
  • The ILS, VOR, DME and runway lights are all reported as in service and working at this time.

What we are expecting:
At some point we are expecting the Haitian government to issue a NOTAM asking the US government to control US traffic. IF THIS HAPPENS, operators should expect a program with slots required for arrival. Expect the authorities to give priority to Search and Rescue first, military next and then other types of humanitarian aid after that. They have published the following number for operators trying to get into MTPP once the program goes into place: 703-925-3011.

Latest ATCSCC advisory…

ATCSCC ADVZY 005 DCC 1/15/10 MTPP GROUND STOP CANCELED

THE GROUND STOP FOR MTPP, PORT AU PRINCE HAS BEEN CANCELED. AIRBORNE
HOLDING OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS HAS BEEN IN EXCESS OF 3 HOURS
AND THIS AMOUNT OF HOLDING WILL POSSIBLY CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT
SEVERAL DAYS AS CONDITIONS AT THE AIRPORT ARE NOT EXPECTED TO
IMPROVE.

THE HAITIAN AUTHORITIES CONTINUE TO ACCEPT TRAFFIC FROM ZMA,
AS WELL AS OTHER ACC’S, AT A VERY SLOW RATE SO EXCESSIVE HOLDING AND
DIVERSIONS ARE A STRONG POSSIBILITY.

AIRPORT RAMP CONGESTION AND PARKING REMAINS A CONTINUOUS PROBLEM
WHICH COULD RESULT IN ADDITIONAL AIRBORNE HOLDING. GROUND STOPS
COULD BE IMPLEMENTED IF HOLDING OCCURS AND IMPACTS THE ZMA
OPERATIONS.
150030-151159
10/01/15 00:34

Brian Williams gave a bump to FA on the NBC nightly news this evening when he was showing an animation of a flight path of a jet coming in. Did anyone else notice that?

Yep. I saw it too.

Interesting story on MTPP and the logistics of handling everything:
cnn.com/2010/US/01/14/us.hai … tml?hpt=T2

Maybe this was on the other thread…haven’t had a chance to read it but Rick Hendrick Motorsports is helping out too.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N509RH

Are the airports still jam-packed?

Yes- backed logged by a week

I have a close friend who is working NBAA Haiti relief coordination. She’s hardly slept in the last week. Through another network a doctor called me about getting getting to Haiti to help. She was told that unless she can register with one of only a few physician support groups aiding in the effort that she couldn’t survive on her own. After pursuing that she discovered that for now there are barely enough supplies to support the current contingent of on-site care givers.

AZ don’t even entertain a thought of heading down there, it’s not anywhere you want to be right now. I feel bad for the victims but there is too much turmoil and disease there to be safe right now.

I hear ya… We’d talked about getting the above mentioned doctor to FXE so she could hitch a ride the rest of the way. But when I told her about contacting one of the physician organizations supporting med services down there before hand she asked why… I “splained” it again, and she got the picture.