First Hawker 4000 delivered - seized by Feds . . .

From Associated Press/BY MOLLY MCMILLIN
The Wichita Eagle

Government seizes Hawker jet in cigarette tax fraud case;

The government has seized the first Hawker 4000 delivered to a customer as part of a federal indictment filed against the Kansas businessman who bought it.

Gary Hall, owner of a Kansas wholesale tobacco company, and seven business associates are charged in a 43-count indictment in an alleged scheme to avoid paying $25 million in cigarette taxes that would have gone to the state of Oklahoma and Indian tribes, the U.S. attorney’s office said Friday.

Hall, president and owner of Sunflower Supply Co. in Galena, and his wife, Donna, took delivery of the Hawker 4000 in a ceremony at the company in June. The super-midsize business jet carries a list price of $21 million.

“If he’s acquitted, he’ll get his plane back,” said Jim Cross, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s office in Kansas.

Other personal property is also listed in the forfeiture.

Defense attorney Dan Monnat, who represents Hall, said the federal charges involve the complex structure of cigarette taxes in the state of Oklahoma.

“Gary Hall is a well-respected businessman and philanthropist from southeast Kansas,” Monnat said. “He vigorously asserts his innocence of these accusations and welcomes a jury trial that will make that clear.”

Hall, who lives in Joplin, Mo., owned and controlled other businesses, including Rebel Industries and Discount Tobacco Warehouse, according to the indictment.

The investigation began in 2006 when the Kansas Highway Patrol stopped a vehicle in Coffeyville carrying a load of cigarettes worth more than $200,000 without the required documents and appropriate tax stamps, the release said.

Hall and the others allegedly conspired to defraud the state of Oklahoma and Indian tribes that share in the proceeds of cigarette taxes, the office said.

Companies controlled by Hall and the other defendants allegedly stamped cigarettes for sale at smoke shops in lower tax rate areas, but the cigarettes were sold at smoke shops in higher tax rate areas.

“They carried out the scheme through a variety of means, including communications by Internet and fax and money wire transfers,” the release alleges.

They also allegedly funneled payments and orders through a third-party corporation called Gawkskey Inc.

Cigarette trafficking cases are complex investigations that involve money laundering, fraud and tax evasion, Michael Boxler, Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives special agent in charge in Kansas City, said in a statement.

FlightAware Thread when aircraft was delivered in June 08.

FlightAware Flight Tracker N7007Q (N711GD reserved).

photo by benallsup/Flickr

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

FlightAware shows the Feds took the seized Hawker to Midland Texas.

US Dept of Justice Kansas press release lists all the persons charged, and what the charges are.

90 days later and the government might have burned them in the Hawker (Waco style).

What does this mean, I’m confused can you explain more about the HAWKER JET and the FEDERAL INDICTMENT?

The owner of the aircraft was indicted for tax fraud. The new Hawker was seized because it is a concrete asset which can be sold by the government to get the owed taxes, if it goes that far.

I’ll call some investors and start looking out at government auctions in texas :stuck_out_tongue:

:open_mouth: Why is the comment about Waco made after the HAWKER JET SEIZED article? I don’t understand. Can you explain further what it means, if anything.

Waco - David Koresh - just watch the first 5 seconds of the video . . .

As the Hawker involves the Federal Govt., indictments, seizures, and tabacco(fire) . . .

Video

Click Here for the quick Wikipedia version.

you know what a t f stands for…

waco: failure to pay excise taxes on guns

hawker: failure to pay taxes on smokes

I just checked the aircraft and it seems to be doing some flying again after being parked at Midland, Texas for several months.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7007Q

It’s no longer the only plane of its type flying: just go to “Browse by Aircraft Type” and put it the code HA4T.

http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/HA4T

There are exactly zero airborne right now. You can click HA4T on the N7007Q page to get there.

Airborne now. Running quite a few segments so far this month. Joplin, Missouri seems to be a popular destination. I know I liked my time visiting there. There’s an all-girl’s college there that attracts a wilder bunch.

“Independent, liberal arts…”? I bet they have a great softball team. ( I really want to make a carpet comment here, but don’t want to get thread locked!)

Now that’s the type of school I always wanted to go to! Wouldn’t have bothered me one bit to be the token man. :slight_smile:

Joplin was where N7007Q was/is based.

I am from Joplin originally. Hall lives west of Joplin, in a mansion style home…it’s rediculously huge. I have no idea how much it cost to build, but its easily millions. The plane is based out of JLN. I have never met the guy, but my take has always been that behind every great fortune is a crime.

I wouldn’t be sure of that. Where is his residence exactly? I looked in
Google Earth but didn’t see anything.

I am sure of it, especially considering I worked less than a mile away from it. It’s west of Joplin off of route 66 (west 7th) west of the lake by central city road.

See it for yourself here…joplinglobe.com/siteSearch/a … 54614.html