Firearms in GA Aircraft?

I’ve looked around the FAA website and haven’t found a definitive answer to firearms being Kosher or not in general aviation aircraft. I’ve found plenty concerning commercial flights, but that’s not what I am looking for.

Might somebody be able to point me in the right direction?

What is your question?

Are there any federal rules prohibiting guns in a private aircraft?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say no. You might want to be sure it’s not loaded and store the Ammo in a separate compartment.

It’s been FOREVER since I have flown GA (IE not 135) so I can’t recall the rules on firearms and part 91 flights

There are no FAA regulations regarding firearms/weapons carriage in private aircraft operated under Part 91.

I’ve done it several times. A couple of items to be concerned with.

~Get the aircraft ready to go, at the last moment load the guns and leave before the cops can get there, just in case someone called them. It’s not illegal but a local cop might make a big deal out of it.

~Plan your fuel stops at small airports NOT served by the airlines.

~ Don’t leave you aircraft unattended when you stop.

~If your destination is a big airport have the FBO bring a vehicle to your plane. From your plane go directly to your car WITHOUT walking though the terminal/fbo. Give the driver a nice tip.

Funny story, my friend asked me to fly him to pick up a gun he just purchased. I didn’t know it was one of the big 50 cal sniper rifles. I was trying to be discrete but it wouldn’t fit in the plane. We finally had to break it down.

I would have thought all of the Beavers in Alaska were equipped with gun racks! :smiley:

Even here in northern New England hunting charters a big business.

my biggest concern isnt carrying in the airplane or even walking through the FBO with it my flight bag. The worry that i have is illegaly concealing or carrying in a different state. For instance when i go to california as many of you know California doesnt recognize any out of state carry permit. So more than studdying the FARs i would look into local laws of fire arms.

lawyerintl.com/law-articles/ … 20Aircraft should muddy the waters in whether you are in a sterile or non sterile part of the airport.

If it was me, I would be carrying it in a hard case designed for the weapon so it’s not concealed “on your person”.

At KHOU, mid to large jets are in/out of the FBOs constantly taking guys on hunting trips. All sorts of guns go in and out and are on display as the passengers congregate and get on/off the plane.

KHOU has airline service, 5 FBOs, is operated by the city, and has tons of HPD presence.

No problems.

135 in Alaska you carry guns just about everyday. I just couldn’t remember the rules for 91

That’s because Texans aren’t as paranoid about guns as the liberal idiots both here in California and in other very liberal states.

1 Like

WORD- Don’t mess with Tejas!!!

Part 135.119 Prohibition against carriage of weapons.

States:

*No person may, while on board an aircraft being operated by a certificate holder, carry on or about that person a deadly or dangerous weapon, either concealed or unconcealed. This section does not apply to-

(a) Officials or employees of a municipality or a State, or of the United States, who are authorized to carry arms; or

(b) Crewmembers and other persons authorized by the certificate holder to carry arms.*

However, variances can be provided by the “Administrator” as approved in the operator’s Opspecs and GOM. :wink:

GOM you said the magic word- It gets tricky with the bear spray. It’s hazmat but you need it in the bush so most POI’s look the other way. Kinda like the POI’s in South Florida look the other way when we carry Prist to the islands

So the highlighted area indicates that anyone - crew member or passenger - can carry firearms on board as long as the operator approves it, right?

As long as what the operator “approves” is approved by the FAA in the operator’s Opspecs and General Operating Manual (GOM).

In other words…what is “authorized by the certificate holder” has to have been approved by the “Administrator” ie; the operator’s Principal Operations Inspector (POI) from the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) of jurisdiction, within the operator’s Opspecs and General Operating Manual (GOM).

I think he has a valid concern that it isn’t so much whether it is legal or not by the terms of the FAA while the aircraft is in the air. The question more comes into play when you are parked on the tarmac in a different state.

While I am not an attorney, and I am not giving you any legal advice, I do carry a lot of the time and have done a little research on this topic. From what I have found, here is my unprofessional opinion:

If you are flying within your home state, as long as you are allowed to carry in your state, you will have no problems. However, if you cross state lines with the firearm, the state where you land would need to have reciprocity with your home state. Both of these scenarios are assuming you are flying with the fiream loaded and within accessibility to you during operation of the aircraft. If you have the firearm (I am assuming a handgun) in your flight bag, the flight bag is within reach during aircraft operations, then you are considered to be carrying a concealed weapon. Further, if the flight bag is in the back of the aircraft, and you take the flight bag out upon landing, then again, the weapon is considered to be concealed.

If you want a concealed carry permit that is valid in multiple states, I would recommend getting one from Florida or Utah, as they both have reciprocity with many other states, and will issue to out of state residents. Contact me if you want more information on them, or just do a google search.

If you do not have a concealed carry permit, or are landing in a state which is one of the “non gun friendly” states that doesn’t recognize your permit, then you will need to put the firearm in a locked commercial grade container, with the ammunition locked in a separate container.

Also keep in mind any states you are overflying. If something goes wrong and you have to land in Mass for instance, the last thing you want to do is get out of the plane in a panic while still having your 500 S&W strapped across your chest. Let’s just say you won’t be leaving the state for 12 months. :slight_smile:

If you are moving the weapon in or out of the plane for hunting purposes, or just to go plinking, you will either need to have the concealed carry permit, have them unloaded and separate from the ammo, or be in one of the great states that don’t require any permits. However, even there it is always a good idea to keep your bazooka and the ammo in a separate container.

Now, for a little praciticality, this all assumes you are going to get ramp checked by an overzealous police officer. In most instances you shouldn’t have any problems if you leave the weapon in the plane and don’t go showing how easily you can see the laser site on the side of the adjacent 737.

Hope this helps a little.

Frank,
You’ve been conditioned by the paranoid/schitzo PC culture in California. I wouldn’t think twice about carrying a gun across a ramp or through an FBO here. I’ve flown with guns in the plane many times.

I went to Beef Island a while ago, and I called the FBO to ask about Prist, the girl asked what is was for, and I told her for anti-icing. Her response was priceless, “Oh you don’t need that, it’s really hot here!”

I always thought it was ironic that we can’t carry Prist cans because the Hazmat deal. I think a flamed out jet in the ocean with 1000 gallons of fuel is pretty hazardous too. I also think it’s funny how we never think twice to bring it with us.