FlightAware Discussions

Feeder blacklisted due to duplicate feeder ID?

One of my friends had to take his feeder down due to some network problems. While he was sorting out these problems I decided to use my backup Pi/antenna with his feeder ID to avoid breaking his feeding streak. Yesterday he went back online without telling me so for a couple of hours 2 feeds with the same feeder ID were streaming to FA but only my data was being processed. I took my backup feed down and hoped that his feed would be accepted but unfortunately his reports are still not coming through. Any idea how to solve this problem?

Did he reboot or restart piaware?

He did a reboot but alas…

Maybe he reinstalled the feeder?

Then he would need to set the correct id.
For Beginners - How to Get Back Existing Station Number in A Fresh Install

Of course it’s also possible the station still has network trouble.
Checking the piaware logs doesn’t hurt.

sudo journalctl -eu piaware

No reinstall, feeder ID is still the same as it was 2 years ago and we also didn’t forget to change back the feeder coordinates to the original ones (settings on stats page).
However, although we were able to set the feeder coordinates to those of his house, the coordinates shown on the stats page are still those of my location. Something must have changed anyway because the ‘nearby sites’ list is correct with a distance of 5 miles between his and my feeder location.
I’ll check the Piaware logs when I’m over there tomorrow to extend the antenna.

That’s where the feeder coordinates are changed, using the cogwheel on the stats page.

Only those coordinates are used for MLAT, local feeder configuration is irrelevant for FA, it only matters for the local map.

Maybe the number just weren’t updated yet or you only saw the rounded coordinates.

Just asked him to get the Piaware logs, those will tell us more about the handshake between his Pi and FA.

I’d still recommend going through this process:

For Beginners - How to Get Back Existing Station Number in A Fresh Install

Just to make sure the correct ID is actually set.
It’s easier than diving into any logs.

Logs and piaware-status revealed the cause of the problem, he got a new feeder-id!
We’ll straighten that out in a minute!