Equipment suffix "s"

Hello, does anybody know what the suffix “s” stands for? I can’t find it on the list provided in the FAQ section.

Thanks!

I don’t, but I noticed quite a few Dash 8’s used for currier service have the ‘S’ suffix as well

flightaware.com/live/flight/LAL8 … /CYYR/CYDF

flightaware.com/live/flight/SPR9 … /CYAY/CYDF

I’m curious now as well.

Well… Dave answered that one a few months ago. Try searching for it to find the answer. If you can’t find it, PM me.

There is no question you are a better person after searching. In this case I don’t think the “S” question has been answered before, though many other topics pertaining to aircraft suffixs/prefixs have. The FAA nor Transport Canada has “S” suffix, though military flights do have a “S” prefix.

Cessna, was this the discussion you refer too?

discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?t=1612

maybe I missed something along the way??

I did a few searches before posting this question, and I found some stuff, but nothing specifically relating to the “/s” suffix.

I’m honored to be FA’s best searcher. [applause] Thank you. :wink:

Yup

Yup

Nop. Here is a list of currect FAA suffixes from Flight Plan.

/A  DME AND TRANSPONDER WITH Mode C
/B  TRANSPONDER WITH NO Mode C
/C  Loran, VOR/DME or INS with TRANSPONDER & NO Mode C
/D  No TRANSPONDER - DME ONLY
/E  FMS with DME/DME and IRU position updating
/F  FMS with DME/DME updating
/G  GNSS, including GPS and WAAS, with enroute and terminal capabilities
/I  Loran, VOR/DME or INS with TRANSPONDER & Mode C
/J  '/E' with RVSM
/K  '/F' with RVSM
/L  '/G' with RVSM
/M  NO TRANSPONDER
/N  TRANSPONDER WITH NO Mode C
/P  TRANSPONDER WITH Mode C
/Q  '/R' with RVSM
/R  RNP,Aircraft meets the RNP type prescribed for the Route, and Area concerned
/T  TRANSPONDER WITH NO Mode C
/U  TRANSPONDER WITH Mode C
/W  RVSM
/X  NO TRANSPONDER
/Y  Loran, VOR/DME or INS with NO TRANSPONDER

Search in more general terms like “equipment suffix.” FA’s forum is small enough that specific searches might turn up nothing (as in your case).

I will continue the search.

“You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or teach him to fish and he can feed himself for a life time”

that’s what I always say. :wink:

/S is unique to Canada and is used if “standard COM/NAV/approach aid equipment for the route to be flown is available and serviceable (Standard equipment is considered to be VHF, ADF, VOR and ILS)”.

fileflightplan.navcanada.ca/use … html#note1 (scroll up above the table to get the context; their anchors aren’t working properly for the main indices)

thanks!

I don’t think I scolled down far enough on the NAV Canada page the first time.

Hope I can help in the future. :smiley:

Because that’s what observers do when they note it.